CLOUDY Water - Please Help!!!

Jul 31, 2008
I recently setup my above ground 18 ft pool, and I have cloudy water. My tests are as follows:

Total Hardiness: 400
Free Chlorine: 2/4
Ph: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 180
Cyanuric Acid: 30/50

What do I need to do to clear up the water? I am open to any suggestions.... I have a a Lil Shark vaccum how often should I use it, or just vacuum in general....

Thanks for all your feedback,
Jeremy

Hi can you put your pool info in your signature, this will help those answering your questions.

Go to User Control Panel, top left, then Profile, then Edit Signature.
type of pool, surface, gallons
type of pump, type of filter, any other pertinent information.

2/4 FC ? How did you obtain your test results? (test strips, droptest kit?)

Welcome, we'll get you straight! :wave:

Welcome to TFP!

It sounds like you are using test strips. Test strips are not the best way to test your water. They give vague results and can occasionally be totally wrong (especially on the CYA test).

What color is the cloudy water? If it is very white, like milk of fluffy clouds you might have calcium clouding. Otherwise you have algae. For calcium clouding you should lower your TA level. For algae you should shock the pool.

The pool is just cloudy I think from dirt. What color is alge? How many hours do you typically run your pump?

My pool info is as follows:

Pool Type: Alantis 18 Ft Round, 52" Above Ground Pool
Pump: Sta-Rite JQPA5E
Sand Filter: Sta-Rite T-200BP-1
Vacuum: Basic one that came with pool, and a Sta-Rite Lil' Shark

Chemical Brand: BioGuard

Thanks,
Jeremy

How long have you been running your pump? When was the pool filled...have you been adding chlorine every day?

If you haven't read Pool School - that would be good place to start.

Chances are you just don't have enough chlorine in your pool - for your current CYA level. Refer to the CYA chart. Are you using tablets/sticks for your chlorine source?

I run the pump everyday for 6.5 hours. The pool was filled about a month ago. I add chlorine as needed. I add chlorine by the tablets in the floating thing in the pool. I will check out the pool school... Thanks for the advice...

Yes, check out Pool School. Start with Recommended Levels, How to Shock your Pool, and while you are shocking run your filter 24/7.

AFter you clear this up, you may want to run your pump more....I'd start at 12 hours and work your way down till you find your optimal run time.

I'd also advise you to ditch the strips and invest in one of the recommended test kits. :wink:

After you have read Pool School, don't hesitate to ask if you still have questions/concerns. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.