Clogged return line or air leak?

Jun 24, 2009
I'm new to the forum and only really know the basics of pool pumps, so hoping someone here can help out with a problem I can't figure out.

I have a 9400 gallon in-ground plaster pool. Both the skimmer and the two drains connect to a 1hp Pentair Challenger pump, from there it T's off at a Jandy Valve. One half goes to the reverse pressure Jandy Ray-Vac and the other to a cartridge filter. The problem is there is noticeable air in the pump basket (it has a clear lid, right in front of the pump), but I can't tell where it's coming from. Both the Ray-Vac and the cartridge filter have high pressure, but the return jets from the cartridge barely have any pressure shooting water into the pool, while the Ray-Vac has a huge amount of pressure (enough to blow holes in some of the rubber hoses, which will need to be replaced).

I've cleaned the cartridge and even removed it with no real noticeable difference. I'm thinking a leak in the pipe returned from the cartridge or something blocking that line? I don't know what else to do... our pool guy won't make it out till Saturday, and I'm not sure if there's something I should be doing in the mean time. I've lubed all the o-rings with silicone grease and nothing visible seems to leak. Any ideas?!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.