Resurfacing 29 year old pool

Jun 24, 2009
My wife and I put in our pool when our kids were young, but now our older pool needs re-surfacing. We our looking for the best, cost-efficient, low maintenance coating. We have looked at Marquis, Pebble-Tec and Diamond Brite. We are leaning toward Marquis as it is less expensive. As retirees on fixed incomes, we don't want to pay too much, but don't want a finish that will wear out quickly.
Suggestions?

we had our old pool resurfaced last summer. We went with the diamond brite (cool blue) our only choices were the diamond brite our regular plaster. the diamond brite looks good and I am happy with it and its not rough on the kid's little feet.

good luck and welcome to TFP!!!

Chris

Reactions: Drd
Marquis is a great product. Every product you listed is good. The applicator is more important. Look at the last three they have done . Don't let them show you random pools. Good luck.

I have installed almost every surface made over the years. Plain white plaster is the weakest of all pool finishes and will hold up for 5 to 7 years, The standard exposed aggregate pool surfaces (Marquis, Florida Stucco Gem cote, CLI, and Diamond Brite ) will last 10 years but will start to look blotchy at 6-7 years. I don't recommend using a colored/dyed version of any of these. They are designed for builder use and are price point engineered accordingly. The dyes in these lines tend to have more thallow witch is good to dye allot of cement cheaply. The better products have 100 % cobalt dyes. The high end pebble products are the strongest and most durable. The rock mixtures have more square inches of bonding area and cure much harder than the previous mentioned. The dyes in these products are all cobalt and can last a long time. We apply the Wet-Edge Technology line of pebble and I believe it to be the best. I hope I helped.

pebbleconcepts.com

Depends on site conditions. every job should be evaluated on a job by job basis and opinions differ around the country. I only feel the loose and dead areas need to be removed. I have been in markets that the local talent thought you were a hack unless you chipped out all of the old surface.There are also federal laws now dictating the suction entrapment codes for your pool when you resurface it. You will have to bring your suction(Main Drain) up to the Virginia Graham baker Act standard. Every state is handling it a different way. For now in FL we just change the Main Drain covers but I have been told soon we will have to replace the main Drain all together and add a channel drain. After you remove all loose plaster via water blasting or sand blasting you will under cut all tile (chip back 4-6 inches) , return lines, and lights. Then you can apply the Bond Cote(SGM) or Multi Cote the pool . two cotes of plaster should be sprayed on the pool and exposed properly(if its an exposed ag choice),

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.