Starting Over- What order do I do my chemicals?

Jun 24, 2009
Hello I am new to this forum and site and so far I must say there is a wealth of information. However, I am still uncertain on what order to do my chemicals. I recently ran into a horriable algae problem and drained the pool for the second time this summer. Now that I have fresh sparkling water, I need to know in what order do I introduce my chemicals in order to stay on track. I use test strips to test my water and this is what I have:

Vinyl Liner - Oval - Hold 13,000 gallons
Sand Filter Pump System
Total Hardness 150
Total Chlorine 0
Free Chlorine 0
PH 8.4
Total Alkalinity 240
CA 30-50

These are all approximate to the color chart provided on the bottle. I am thinking I need to add some muriatic acid to lower my PH. I need to add some bleach with shock to increase my chlorine levels and add stabalizer to maintain my chlorine. I am just not sure what order to put them in. Is there really an order?

Help! I don't want my water to turn green again. :cry:

Thanks-Mary

Start first by lowering your PH to 7.2 with Muratic Acid.
Wait one hour and add enough bleach to reach a FC level of 2-3 using bleach or liquid chlorine.
As soon as you can, add Cyanuric Acid/Stabilizer to 30-50 ppm.
Keep an eye on your chlorine levels while waiting for the CYA level to take hold, the sunlight will rapidly destroy the chlorine level without CYA. You may need to make frequent additions. If your FC doesn't hold overnight, you might need to shock the pool.

After your FC levels are stable, you can tackle Lowering your TA.

Keep your PH under 7.8 with Muratic Acid - but don't trust high readings if your FC is above 10 - don't try to adjust ph unless the FC is below 10.

Use the Pool Calculator to determine how much of each chemical to add. There is an article in Pool School that tells you how to use the Pool Calculator.

There is also articles in pool school that tells you How to shock your pool, how to lower your TA, and one that compares the test kits we recommend. STrips are very unaccurate.

Hope this helps, if not, ask any questions. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.