Remodeled - spillway ok - but vac won't move

Jul 4, 2007
Florida
Hello - I am brand new to this forum. We remodeled our 22,000 gallon in ground pool. We didn't change the shape or design - just new tile, finish, coping and pavers. We are using our existing Jandy Aqualink and other pool equipment. IT has taken weeks for the builder to get the spillway to flow from the elevated spa into the pool correctly. (The water kept hitting the wall before reaching the pool). They reset the granite spillway 2-3 times.

Now the spillway looks great - but the Hayward vac won't move. I think they must have done something with the valves....

Any advice???

Thank you so much for any ideas!!!

Welcome to TFP!

I suspect they turned off the cleaner to get the maximum amount of water going to the spillway. It should be easy to fix if you can figure out which valve is which. If you want help with figuring out the valves we will need a picture of your equipment.

Hi Jason,
It seems that in order to get the spillway to look halfway decent they are opening the spa valve as much as possible. The remodeler is supposed to come back today to look at it again. Is there some way to boost the pressure to the spa and yet still get the vac to work in the pool?

If he can't come up with a way to resolve it, I will try to upload a photo to the forum.

Thanks.

It sounds like there isn't enough water flow to run everything at once. There are two approaches you can take at this point. Either run one thing at a time or increase the total available flow. Increasing the flow requires a larger pump, and depending on how big your filter is it might mean replacing the filter, and there could be additional complications if your pipes are undersized.

Well, of course the installer didn't show up yesterday - I am hoping he is here 1st thing this morning. The pool has been running in service mode for 3 days. I don't want to touch the controls. A week ago when everything was running properly (except that the spillway didn't look right - I turned the spa heater on and the spa drained because he had done something to the valves).

Anyway - I will try to upload a photo today of the pool equipment. I have a photo of the spillway leaking after they re-set the granite for the third time. All of the grout washed away in the back.

Sorry - it looks like the file size of my photos are too large to attach. (I'm not sure if there is a way to make them smaller???)

Anyway - we had an existing spillway that was glass block that flowed beautifully from the spa into the pool. We remodeled but didn't change the dsesign. The pool builder took down the glass block wall and built his own concrete wall and had tile installed and a granite ledge. When the pool is turned on with the valves in their original positions - the water comes over the granite and hits the tile about 2/3's of the the way down the wall - instead of falling to the pool level. It doesn't look right at all.

The only thing I can think of is that he built the wall too high. IT would be a big project to lower the wall - but he could get a thinner piece of granite I think.

I will try to work with my photos and see if I can make them smaller -

thanks again everyone for your help and ideas!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.