cholorine & vacation

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
Having trouble maintaining FC with the high heat and direct sunlight, and basically adding 1-2 gal every other night. We're using BBB. At last check, my CYA was at 30. I added approx 2# of stabilizer (per calculator), but have not rechecked as I'm out of reagent. I'm assuming with little rain since addition, I should be around 40 or so on CYA. Either way, I doubt we're on the high end. My question relates to the Cl pucks. We do have an in-line chlorinator that we don't use since we use BBB. However, will it mess anything up if we use while we are away for a couple weeks in Aug? And if it's ok to use, will this really help much in keeping a decent level? We do have someone who will be staying here but will be in and out, so can probably count on a bleach addition every 4th day or so. We've managed to keep things crystal clear so far, so any suggestions on how to chlorinate when away will be appreciated!

Using the chlorinator is a good idea, but it will lower the PH and TA steadily as long as it is in use.

A lot depends on how much you can count on the person staying there to do. A couple of weeks is very difficult without someone taking care of at least basic pool care. So, for example, do you think it is practical to ask them to check the PH and add soda ash occasionally?

Yes, I'm sure he can run a few basic checks for us with no problem. It's just keeping that FC level up I'm worried about. We have no CC's, it's just loosing the FC due to the sun I guess. And we'd only have the chlorinator going for 2 weeks....is that enough time to raise levels dramatically?

spf30 said:
Yes, I'm sure he can run a few basic checks for us with no problem. It's just keeping that FC level up I'm worried about. We have no CC's, it's just loosing the FC due to the sun I guess. And we'd only have the chlorinator going for 2 weeks....is that enough time to raise levels dramatically?
You can use Jason's Pool Calculator (link in my sig, on home page & in Pool School).
Near the bottom there is an "Effects of Adding Chemicals"...
You can calculate the amount of CYA increase by amount of tabs used during your vacation.

Tried using the calculator to see what effect the trichlor tabs would have short term, but all I could see was what appeared to be adding Tri chlor liquid or some other form other than tabs. Also, looking at our in-line chlorinator, there does not seem to be any sort of 'dial' that one can use to adjust the rate of 'dissolving' the pucks. All I see is what appears to be a large black bolt type thing on the top of the lid. Does that turn to adjust the flow in anyway? Or is there not any way to control the output? If there is, how do I adjust and what type of setting should I be using to maintain Cl levels over the 2 week absence (with a few bleach additions along the way)?

A model number, or picture, of the chlorinator would help us explain it to you.

To see the effects of adding trichlor, go down to the bottom of my Pool Calculator, to the Effects of adding chemicals section, enter some amount, like 32 oz, and select trichlor from the popup. That will tell you what adding 4 3" tablets adds to the pool.

JasonLion said:
To see the effects of adding trichlor, go down to the bottom of my Pool Calculator, to the Effects of adding chemicals section, enter some amount, like 32 oz, and select trichlor from the popup. That will tell you what adding 4 3" tablets adds to the pool.

Jason just curious if you would explain a little more on the temporary use of trichlor tabs and the amount of FC that it will raise daily. My question deals with the dissolve rate. One 8oz puck will raise the FC 4.1, 115 oz of 6% bleach will do the same but as you pour the bleach in all at once the pool see's that right away. If you do want to use up on hand pucks to raise your CYA a bit how do you take in account the dissolve rate and how many pucks should be in the feeder at the same time? On my Rainbow feeder there is also a dial which adjusts the chlorine amount, what do you recommend that to be set at? I have used nothing but BBB since we bought this house w/pool. We did a 50% drain to reduce the CYA which is now at 35 but in the intense Texas sun I think it would be better at 50.
As always thanks.

A tablet chlorinator has a setting that lets you adjust the feed rate. As a rough approximation, it will feed whatever is in it over about a week, slower if you set it to low, faster if you set it to high. The exact amount of time will vary somewhat depending on your particular pool. Normally tablet chlorinators are adjusted the same was a SWG percentage is adjusted. You check the FC level in the early evening. If it is too high you turn the chlorinator down. If it is too low you turn the chlorinator up.

Keep in mind that using trichlor tablets will lower the PH fairly rapidly and also lower the TA more slowly. You need to keep a clsoe eye on the PH and raise it as required any time you are using trichlor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.