First Test results

Yes I did, but I'm not clear. Is regular Clorox what I want? Aren't there different types? I've literally never bought bleach in my life. Lol

Also, you said to add salt in that post and test but is that one bag?

Store brand bleach is fine, Chlorox brand is more expensive but the same active chemical, sodium hypochlorite. Check the percentage, most are 8.25%. Don't get lower than that %, it should be marked on the bottle. Do NOT get splashless, get unscented. Any grocery store is fine.

Test first for the salt. Then we can estimate how much you need.

Have you checked CYA yet?

Store brand bleach is fine, Chlorox brand is more expensive but the same active chemical, sodium hypochlorite. Check the percentage, most are 8.25%. Don't get lower than % that it should be marked on the bottle. Do NOT get splashless, get unscented. Any grocery store is fine.

Test first for the salt. Then we can estimate how much you need.

Have you checked CYA yet?

Thank you that helps! And test for salt before adding any, correct?

I haven't tested. Darn pool is still filling.

Yes I did, but I'm not clear. Is regular Clorox what I want? Aren't there different types? I've literally never bought bleach in my life. Lol

Also, you said to add salt in that post and test but is that one bag?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure where I was unclear. Can you say where a lost you? Lol. Do you have specific questions? Was it just the bleach issue you asked about?

For the chlorine/ bleach, it can be found with lots of different names. The important part is the active chemical, Sodium Hypochlorite. This chemical is what adds the free chlorine to your pool. It comes in a few different concentrations and can be found in the laundry section of a grocery store or can be found at the pool store. I think the "types" you're referring to are just different names for the same stuff. Many times the name variant is related to the concentration.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure where I was unclear. Can you say where a lost you? Lol. Do you have specific questions? Was it just the bleach issue you asked about?

For the chlorine/ bleach, it can be found with lots of different names. The important part is the active chemical, Sodium Hypochlorite. This chemical is what adds the free chlorine to your pool. It comes in a few different concentrations and can be found in the laundry section of a grocery store or can be found at the pool store. I think the "types" you're referring to are just different names for the same stuff. Many times the name variant is related to the concentration.

And what size jug?

My pool is full. I had to leave so I did a super quick CYA test. I think it's 90 or higher. I'll do it again later. It's depressing. I don't want to drain it again. This a huge waste and expense of water!

My pool is full. I had to leave so I did a super quick CYA test. I think it's 90 or higher. I'll do it again later. It's depressing. I don't want to drain it again. This a huge waste and expense of water!

Which is why the pool store way of doing things is infuriating. This is the merry go round ride they put people through. Chemicals, more chemicals, more chemicals to counter act those chemicals, drain water because it's all messed up, start over.

Ok. Take a deep breath. You can work with this and not need to drain again if you don't want to. You can let splash out, backwashing, and rain do its part to bring the CYA down further.

We were shooting for a CYA of 70-80. If CYA went from 120 to 90, then you drained about 25% of the water.
Please run a full set of tests along with those in post #30. Let us know the results.

Ok. Take a deep breath. You can work with this and not need to drain again if you don't want to. You can let splash out, backwashing, and rain do its part to bring the CYA down further.

We were shooting for a CYA of 70-80. If CYA went from 120 to 90, then you drained about 25% of the water.
Please run a full set of tests along with those in post #30. Let us know the results.

Thing is, I drained more than that. I aimed for 40%!!

When I get home I will run the test again along with the rest. I wish the CYA wasn't that subjective. I have 2 little boys. I'll tell them to splash a ton. We do get a lot of splash out already!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok..

Ph 7.5
salt 3000 ppm
FC (10ml test) 1.5
CC .5
TC 2
CA 275 ppm
CYA 90
TA 130

FC (25ml test) 1.4
CC 0.2
TC 1.6

After adding 1 jug of bleach 8.25%, 121 oz. (the bottle said Concentrated. 121 oz = 182 oz)
FC 10.2

Ok..

CYA 90ppm
salt 3000 ppm
FC (10ml test) 1.5
FC (25ml test) 1.4

After adding 1 jug of bleach 8.25%, 121 oz. (the bottle said Concentrated. 121 oz = 182 oz)
FC 10.2

First, good job with the draining and testing! The CYA of 90 is close enough. You can manage with that and your SWG.

Second, I'm a bit confused by the volume calculation. Using 121oz of 8.25% bleach, from 1.5 -> 10.4 will happen in a pool of 9400 gallons. I wasn't expecting the chlorine to rise that much. Aka, making your pool appear smaller.

For salt, let's assume 10,000 gallons. To get from 3000 -> 3500 takes 42 lbs of salt.
If you want, while at the store, buy twice what you need to have some extra on hand.
Dump the salt in, note how much you dumped, mix around for a bit and retest. Post the results.

You won't believe this but I've had the hardest time finding salt. I went to Home Depot and all they had was water softening salt but it was huge chunks I went to grocery stores with no luck. Menard said they had some and we went there and nobody could find it. So I ended up back at the pool store and they had very expensive bags of plain salt not the mineral Springs. I'm going home to add it now.

Ok Salt yesterday was 3000 ppm and today after 1 40 lb bag of salt, it's 3800 ppm. My intellichlor says low salt still maybe it takes some time to register?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.