Right amount of CYA

May 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
We recently refilled our pool, and after reading all over the forum, I still don't know the ideal level of CYA I should have. We live in Texas, and the pool has direct sunlight all day. I don't have a SWG, so the pool calculator suggests 30-50. However, since we do have direct sunlight, does that mean I should have higher levels, around 70-90?
My current level is around 30, and I would hate to raise the CYA level, and then having to drain the pool again. Should I just stick with 30?
I currently add about 6 cups of 6% bleach every day (in our 14,000 gallon pool). Is this a normal amount, or is that high? I am also planning on adding borates, which should reduce the need for chlorine.
So.... should I keep my CYA at 30, or add more?? :?

I've read before that with direct sunlight all day, a slightly higher CYA works a bit better at minimizing chlorine loss. All the way to 90 seems too high to me, but 50 - 70 should be fine. You understand the relationship between CYA and FC, so you are way ahead of the game. And there won't be a need to drain the pool again, as the CYA will gradually fall with rainfall, splashout, etc.

Enjoy!

Every pool is different, so a solid number can not be given for your particular pool :(

What I would do is raise the cya by 10 ppm per week until you have the 'optimal' level for your pool 8)

As you know, cya doesn't just disappear (usually :roll: ) so bump it up, but do so in small enough doses that if you 'overshoot' a little, it's not going to cause you to have to drain water :)

With the margin of error in the CYA test kit, 10ppm is frequently difficult to detect.

I would calculate carefully (post on the forum if you have any doubts) and increase the CYA by 20ppm (it should be 2 pounds)....that should get you around an ideal 50ppm.

I notice that with my CYA at current 40, the goal is 3 to 7 ppm FC, and it takes 2 jugs (191 oz) of 6% chlorine to do that.

AND

If my CYA were 50, the goal is 4 to 8 ppm FC, and it takes 2 jugs (191 oz) of 6% chlorine to do that.

AND

If my CYA were 60, the goal is 5 to 9 ppm FC, and it takes 2 jugs (191 oz) of 6% chlorine to do that.

Soooooo...... If I am adding 2 jugs of bleach each time, regardless of the CYA, to go from low range to high range FC, am I going to expect that to need doing LESS often at higher CYA levels?

I have not been super regular about testing and adding, testing every 3rd or 4th day and adding what isneeded, and so I am not yet so sure of how much CL is comsumed by my pool.

anonapersona said:
Soooooo...... If I am adding 2 jugs of bleach each time, regardless of the CYA, to go from low range to high range FC, am I going to expect that to need doing LESS often at higher CYA levels?
Exactly. Your rate of loss to sunlight will be slower so it will take longer to go from the high end to the low end of your range.
--paulr

Okay, so I added 3 lbs of stabilizer, before I had a chance to read on the forum that I should have only added 2 lbs!! I hope I didn't overshoot my goal of 50!! I did some calculating, and my average bleach per day has actually been 7 cups (6%)!!! Way too much. I am excited to start seeing a difference in the amount I'll need everyday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.