Intex pump PROBLEM~NEED HELP!!!

Jun 24, 2009
I'm new to this forum...so, HELLO!!

I have an 18x48 intex metal frame pool that we bought from walmart last summer and it came with a 1500 gph filter pump. Well, it bit the dust last week by making this horrible grinding/whining noise, I do not know what's wrong with it, nor do I care as it didn't do it's job anyways. I'm looking to replace it and have decided to go with a 4000 gph pump (intex) BUT the ONLY ones I can find is the kind that takes 2 HOSES....one for sucking (filtering) the water out of the pool and one for BLOWING the water back into the pool (please excuse my slang garb as I am such a pool novice)..anyways, my current pool pump has only ONE hose and it goes from the bottom left of the pump and blows the filtered water back into the pool. The pump is mounted onto the side of my pool attatched to a square hole that was made into the liner and is secured with screws to what I assume is the skimmer mouth plate. NOWHERE on the web have I been able to find a pump that will fit this...I'm wondering if I got some outdated pool because everyone around here where I live doesn't have one like this and I bought mine from the SAME WALMART they did, LOL. I emailed a seller on ebay that has the pump I want http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123 and he told me that it could be installed but if i didnt have someone handy that knew what they were doing to NOT attempt it and to call the manufacturer for a replacement. Well, I've heard nothing but horror stories about the customer service from this company and really want to avoid them if at all possible. What I need to know is that is there some sort of adapter that will fit into the square hole and allow me to use the regular hoses? Or is there just a special pump OTHER than the 1500 gph which is a piece of DOO-DOO for that much water...OR is there any kind of tool to cut or punch out the correct size to install the plastic ring for the hose to fit on? I'm so sorry for being so longwinded, but I live in Florida where the weather has topped 106 already and have 2 children that have looked forward all winter to getting into the pool and I just can't seem to find something to fix my problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I have pictures of the pump mounted on the side of the pool if that will help, just let me know) God Bless.

Callie

edited-posted pictures per request

Attachments

• 100_0878.JPG
    100_0878.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 100_0877.JPG
    100_0877.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 100_0875.JPG
    100_0875.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 205
if you are able to take the pump part off, you may be able to just hook a hose up to where the pump is supposed to be.

If the pump is in an area that visitors aren't going to see that easily, just run a hose from the existing broken pump outlet into your new one.

Pach...

I "think" I know what you're saying...tell me if I'm wrong.

You mean to take the messed up pump off and when I get the new one run the hose that is suppose to suck the water out of the pool into that square hole and maybe patch the hole somehow AROUND the new hose that goes in that spot?...I had acutally thought about this before but the problem I see with that, is I could fill the hole from the inside of the pool, spraying towards the outside of the pool, spray that expanding foam/silicone type stuff that dries within like 2 hours but is hard as a rock when it dries...BUT what if I had to replace the hose, it would be heck tryin to remove the hose outta the rock hard stuff. Is that what you were talking about though?...if not, please tell me.

Visitors isn't a problem, it's just my kids, my husband and myself that swim in the pool so I'm not really concerened if it looks "rigged up" in the "problem area"

I've even thought about completely patching over the square skimmer pump hole with a big pool patch or something of the like and just using some sort of circular "punch out" tool or "cutting" the correct size hole and attatching the plastic adapter thingy that the hose hooks to on the outside of the pool (that is if I can find one) and then hook the hose to that...I just sure don't know :( But i'm thinkin' that if I cut a hole out by whatever means, it might make the vinyl vunerable to fray, ravel or whatever in years to come and just be a big mistake. If anyone has ANY ideas please let me know. Thanks in advance and God Bless Yall

Callie

yes, that is exactly what I was talking about!

But If you will have to go through all that trouble then I wouldn't do it. Because like you said, if you have to change the hose, it is gonna be a pain in the rear.

if you unhook your hose from your broken filter, and the canister has water in it, does water still poor out with the broken filter off?

If the answer is a "yes" and you don't care about a "rigged" appearance, then buy whatever filter pump you want, run the hose from the broken filter to the inlet of the new filter pump, then hook a hose from the outlet and run it to your return hole on your pool, problem solved!!! :whoot:

Another option is to buy a skimmer for a regular Above Ground pool and put that on in place of the filter you have. It should fit in the hole already there(or be close anyway) and it will have an attachment for a regular hose.

Good Luck,
Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.