NO Bond Beam??

I'm most cases a raised bond beam is purely for aesthetics and then you can add features to it like sheer descents or water bowls etc.
unless you have some type of grading issues and you would use it as a reinforced wall then your PB is right.
In my opinion I think they make a pool look good and add character but beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. Growing up as a kid most pools were plane Jane and good just for a swim much like your local rec pool

E,

What are you calling a "Bond Beam"..

Google says.. "The bond beam is a vital component of the pool structure, set during construction. It is a horizontal concrete element, usually reinforced with a larger diameter steel rebar, beneath the pool's coping. Its purpose is to provide added strength to the pool wall."

Where would he install the coping?

I'm thinking we have some sort of failure to communicate... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Good point Jim, I assumed the OP meant raised bond beam. Let's hope they chime in so we can get some clarification
Either way you would think that the engineering would cover the pool shell and making sure it's up to code.... but stranger things have happened

The bond beam is a critical structural component of the pool shell. Think of a pool as a red Solo cup - the walls are thin but the top lip is rolled over on itself (bond beam) and provides the majority of the structural strength of the cup. A pool is no different.

A pool sees the most stress at the bond beam (where external forces are attempting to make the pool wall collapse and the surrounding soil has the most leverage on the shell) and the transition from the wall to the floor.

You may want to consider not answering the door the next time this guy comes around...

Here is an example of a bond beam detail. It really is a critical element.

post-81-0-81124300-1471137477.jpg

Didn't know if I had one, but after going back through the pictures it looks like it was included...

iNhcNgOzZpAWrAbSDKV-AX9YdbmcDnJTF2Ml1c_5I9T9CQPNeI1McqXu_AJYLGcyGg1wlc3___6mLHhePmxPQkYUakC4Abdr9P_pzEuJfxAd3ICnVT1vAKbv5Eig31juNe1Ts5AD-mrVnCZOcgHdKoPKDo872y6N85zqGcZbn-Ak7EhdW1gh_1i0z74vHb0ILZ4tct0ceMHwnEEL9aezvlQpcpjNQXBdYzPqvY5E-bA0t5LgXeB_4JV_ohbPYIU4X-lT5nQryIbcDk0le4_fW5oT5TYUwesReKDFDY7gl-Yi9HZD2rjyHnN-4qkxOOnXHcsmu1Nw6mmuH4TlOSA9GsH0hNEBqP6ybVK7-iqpSPhkl1EONI5QdBygD7nw0I4bXYXgHP58wkGBmtuHlieqnajgIxFRA-BgWFwdVUARujKFStBxd6Ew6BjVrtyHiaJNsczeVMXiWt1em2CqVGuL_5ntgCfjfUYJ3qpx_6Kc22gbai5u-gcsgtJKM-qwd1jcMwdMvRHvlckqaUNwhg0MqpcgSkuTYVO3ifaeKO1JyRiMR-rJyR_QFJGptLIbfWGq9-RKYTGQMquVCUCJsDN2UOhLaoTcluewmKw7VAZxkJqqjdDyz4jBRw=w1265-h949-no

No, I'm not talking about a raised beam, I'm talking about the top of the pool shel! The PB has been going from 4 inches to 6 inches at the top of the pool, with one single plane of rebar. We've witnessed this in practice on a pool he's building nearby. The pool coping is being attached to the 6-in pool wall, along with a trough of concrete poured next to it.
Just as we thought, this is crazy! Thanks so much for your responses, really helpful.

Are there no inspections where you are? It must be nice for the builders to do whatever they want.

The steel reinforcement is one of the most heavily scutinized inspections around here. I usually have to bribe the inspectors or pay them off for my recycled paper clip reinforcement to pass

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm used to seeing both the rebar and a 'T" type cap 12" on the top of the gunite shelf to support the coping.

Some builders use 6-8" walls then add the 12" to the top for the coping. If your using an poured concrete deck some will eliminate this and just run the
deck on top of the bond beam.

I built my pool and a few friends at 12" solid gunite all the way with the top shelf/ bond beam all framed out with rebar.

And yes it costs a lot more as you use a lot more concrete.. this is one way builders save money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.