Pool House Bar/Grill Area

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
Ok i'm redoing my drawings for the pool house. i'm just not happy with my old ones. i have a question.

i have let's say a 10 foot total end to end wall. i want to have a grill and an egg there. is 10 feet enough for both and to have some room for counter space for cooing on each side? not for prep just to place stuff while cooking?

also i don't have a clue about the eggs. do they need to sit on some kinda base or can they be placed right ontop of a piece of limestone? figured i would build a ledge for it.

here is another question. lets say i build a boxed in ledge for the egg. would you keep that open wit the counter space ending to the box or would you wrap the counter all around the egg. pretty much build it in so it can't be slid out without removing the counter?

i also don't know how i wold make the transition from the egg to the grill look good with just the 10 feet. say from left to right i have 2 feet counter space, then grill, i need a space to the egg, egg would take up what 2 feet, and then i need space on the other side of the egg. so that in rough number would be 2+4+ unknown+2+3 that's 11 feet already. i don't think i have enough room?

i'll have some pics in a bit, but wanted some input to get me going.

jim

Can't answer in detail right now. But I have a "built in" Egg and I would rather it have been placed in a cut-out with an open front. They are very heavy, it won't move if that's a concern to you.

built in grills are very wonky. so i'm going to assume to use a weber grill again cause i haven't had any issues with them in the past. they are a rough opening of 31 inches so i'm using 36 as a rough starting place so i don't mess myself up. any left over width will just end up counter space.

so i have a 10' finished end to end wall after brick. it might be a few inches more but again lets play safe.

i'm also looking at a large green egg so 21" width

i know my cabinets need to be at least 29" deep cause the grill lip needs 27" of clearance so added 2 inches due to my brick being jumbos so they are kinda uneven.

my left to right layout will be 2' counter space - - - - 3' grill - - - - 1' counter (this will vary, but it's a safe number) - - - 2' for egg opening cause egg is 21" - - - 2' counter space.

so i should be able to fit.

the island where sitting will be will be my storage and fridge. i guess sink also, but i have to see with my buddy if the waste line of it being in the sink will be an issue cause i don't want to come up through the floor for exact location of sink. i don't want to be married to it if things change in the field so i need to be able to gravity feed it to the wall. waste lines are a pain. my bathroom is on one side of the building and sink will be on the other side. maybe getting an exact location will be best cause the toilet has to be dead on anyway so then as it passes undr the footers the sinks can meet up with it.

jim

Random thoughts
- built-in grills can be more expensive
- egg has air intake control underneath, might be a bit more difficult to reach if it's built into a cabinet
- do you need a strip of counter in front of the egg?
- you could also put a grill on either end of the counter and have whatever space is left between them. if there's 6" or so between each grill and the end wall, 3' grill and 2' egg that leaves about 4' in the middle.

my plan for the egg was all brick with open front for air along with it sitting on a limestone slab for heat. actually the whole kitchen will be brick like the house itself. figured it would be easier to maintain up north here.

i was thinking about keeping them separated but there is a wall on the one side so i wanted to have everything off the wall as much as possible for air flow. also looks wise that back counter will be right where my living space fireplace ends.

i haven't drawn it out yet. but i know at least now i got the room to do what i want.

ventilation is going to be an issue. i don't want to break the bank on that either. i thought about opening up the back side but i'm kinda sing my poolhouse as a privacy fence from my neighbors. not that i don't like them but we are at the same elevation so you know sometimes you want privacy.

jim

Ok i'm redoing my drawings for the pool house. i'm just not happy with my old ones. i have a question.

i have let's say a 10 foot total end to end wall. i want to have a grill and an egg there. is 10 feet enough for both and to have some room for counter space for cooing on each side? not for prep just to place stuff while cooking?

also i don't have a clue about the eggs. do they need to sit on some kinda base or can they be placed right ontop of a piece of limestone? figured i would build a ledge for it.

here is another question. lets say i build a boxed in ledge for the egg. would you keep that open wit the counter space ending to the box or would you wrap the counter all around the egg. pretty much build it in so it can't be slid out without removing the counter?

i also don't know how i wold make the transition from the egg to the grill look good with just the 10 feet. say from left to right i have 2 feet counter space, then grill, i need a space to the egg, egg would take up what 2 feet, and then i need space on the other side of the egg. so that in rough number would be 2+4+ unknown+2+3 that's 11 feet already. i don't think i have enough room?

i'll have some pics in a bit, but wanted some input to get me going.

jim

Your width should be fine. Even with a 48" grill and a large egg you should be fine. If you are using wooden cabinets, I'd have a piece of stone of some sort under the egg. Probably not really necessary, but why not.

My egg sits in a hole in the counter. I prefer it that way, but personal preference really. Its not going anywhere.

I can post some pictures of my setup when I get home. You can see it to some extent in my build thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.