Is there an optimal time to replace vs. repair?

brauh01

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2012
Yardley, PA
My first pool. Pool is 10 years old. Have Polaris 360, which was originally installed. Two summers ago, I rebuilt using Polaris's rebuild kit. Four summers ago replaced all attachment hoses. Now, the top housing has cracked and split. Replacement top on order. With a Pebbletec pool, fine pebbles usually have to be removed from gears at the beginning of each season, so the cleaner is taken apart at least once every year.

So, here's my question. Does chlorine over time lead to degradation of the plastic such that there is a normal life cycle, and should I be considering a replacement? :confused: I'm reasonably handy and don't mind an occasional fix. I also don't want to waste time if I should be looking to swap out. I'm certain there is no right or wrong answer, but am interested in others experience.

Thanks!
Bill

If it's in the budget, trade that cleaner in for somewhere around a $1K robot (for that size pool). You will never look back.

That said, if you are OK with the fixes, you can probably keep the 360 going for a long time but you are consuming 10x the electricity of a robot.

My first pool. Pool is 10 years old. Have Polaris 360, which was originally installed. Two summers ago, I rebuilt using Polaris's rebuild kit. Four summers ago replaced all attachment hoses. Now, the top housing has cracked and split. Replacement top on order. With a Pebbletec pool, fine pebbles usually have to be removed from gears at the beginning of each season, so the cleaner is taken apart at least once every year.

So, here's my question. Does chlorine over time lead to degradation of the plastic such that there is a normal life cycle, and should I be considering a replacement? :confused: I'm reasonably handy and don't mind an occasional fix. I also don't want to waste time if I should be looking to swap out. I'm certain there is no right or wrong answer, but am interested in others experience.

Thanks!
Bill

Cleaning Housings/ casings seem to last about 10 years before the UV make them brittle and they crack.
Im sure the Chlorine contributes some but its mostly the UV.

UD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.