New to forum

Nov 10, 2016
Schenectady NY
Hi all, just discovered this forum and need some guidance.
Opened pool Sunday and for first time ever water was green and very dirty.
Brought to store for testing and got these numbers:
FC .1
TC .43
CC .33
Ph 8.2
CYA 2
Salt 2500 (my screen showed 3200)

Since bringing to pool store for testing I've put in:
5 gallons of chlorine
25 pounds of hardness booster
1 pt 1.5 qts Muriatic acid
10 lbs stabilizer
2 bags of salt

Water is still cloudy but not green
My salt generator was off. When I turned it on to 50% this morning, water turned milky white and I turned it back off. Why did it do that?

Today I will go buy a testing kit based on what I've read here.
Questions:
Why did water starting turning "white" when I turned on salt chlorinated?
What else am I doing wrong?
Have had this pool for 14 years and installed SWG 4 years ago. Never had water look like this. Thanks for your comments.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: About your questions:
Why did water starting turning "white" when I turned on salt chlorinated?
Either a quick reaction of increased FC to the organics or overload of chemicals reacting together.
What else am I doing wrong?
Just like me before TFP (don't take this as a bad thing) ... but most everything (chemically that is). Like I said, I did too. Pool store and advice will get you every time. You are doing the right thing by ordering your own test kit. The TF-100 XL Option is a fantastic product that will serve your pool well. If you can, also consider the magnetic speedstir.

Don't do or add anything else to your pool right now. Please update your signature with your pool type and equipment, to include which test kit you ordered. Your sig is the first thing we look at. Once you get the kit, run a full set of tests and we'll gladly assist. For now, let the SWG rest and just add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to the water each day. Also, review/bookmark the vital links you see below in my signature. You'll use them all, to include the SLAM link to clear your pool. Nice to have you with us.

Thanks Texas. I ordered the testing kit this morning and will be at my door Friday.
Will hold off on any more chemicals until then.
I did pour half gallon of bleach in pool this morning. Is it really true that household bleach is the same as the chlorine I buy in the fancy container at the pool store?

About the white plume: my guess is Calcium clouding. The pool store could be way off on the pH and CH readings. And the pH inside the SWG gets really high. So if the pool is already right on the edge of the pH where the Calcium starts precipitating, and it goes higher inside the cell, what's coming out will be a bunch of Calcium crystals, not unlike the powder you poured in.

Once you have your own test kit and can get some good accurate readings, you can get things adjusted and that should stop.

Take a few minutes and fill out your signature. Directions are in Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post It helps us a lot, so we don't recommend a backwash if you have a cartrdige filter and so on. Another for-instance is if you have a vinyl liner. You can have really low CH and it won't matter, except to the pool store's bottom line.

And yes, household bleach and liquid chlorine or liquid pool shock are all the same, just differing concentrations.

Got my test kit and just tried it out for the first time....

FC 0
CC .4
ph 7.4
TA 110
CH 290
CA 40
Salt 3800
Pool temp is 70 F
I just added container of 8.5% household bleach and just turned on my SWG chlorinator as it's been off since I started the pool . Pool is still cloudy and I have a lot of dirt at the bottom (haven't vacuumed since I couldn't backwash for 3 days after putting in 10 lbs. of stabilizer. I'll be spending the morning vacuuming out all the junk at bottom of pool
Obviously the FC needs to come way up and the CYA is low. Suggestions?

Good morning! :wave: Since the water has been green/cloudy from opening, you know a SLAM is required (link below). At this point, you might consider lowering pH just a hair to 7.2, and leave everything else alone right now except FC. Based on your CYA of 40, you'll want to increase FC to "16" and maintain that FC of 16 as best as you can 24/7 until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Don't forget to do all the other tasks on the SLAM page and the SLAM should work nicely for you. After you pass the SLAM, that's when you'll increase the CYA to the recommended minimum of 70, but only after you pass the SLAM. Have a nice weekend.

Here's my latest numbers....

FC 7.5
CC .2
pH 7.4
TA 120
CH 290
CA 45
Salt 3600

Water is clear and pool looks great overall. Only thing left seems to be to raise CA with 5 pounds of stabilizer. Maybe some more Muriatic Acid to lower the pH a little? (I added 25 oz of Muriatic 48 hours ago)
Will that FC level go down on its own?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before you adjust the CYA to your SWG pool minimum and let the FC drop a bit, did you actually pass all 3 SLAM criteria? I'd hate to see you stop early only to have cloudiness creep-up again. It's very common to do. You appear to have clear water and less than 0.5 CC, so it looks the OCLT is last unless you already did it. If you did it and passed - great! If not, I would do it just to make sure. From there, then yes, increase CYA with more stabilizer and let the FC fall slowly to your SWG recommended range. FC should fall naturally on its own. :)

Nice work! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.