Intex 9' x 18' x 52" ultra frame pool set up help

Jun 24, 2009
INTEX pool
Rectangular 18' x 9' x 52"
4,545 gal
No water test yet/no water.

Hello to all,

I am having knee replacement surgery ASAP and need to get into better shape for best results, my doctor recommended water aerobics and swimming, so we purchased a Intex 9' x18' x 52" rectangular AG pool. the only pool we could find that would suit our available space and my specific need and budget.
We live in the mountains of western NC, although we have about 2 acres, it is very hilly & wooded.
The spot we chose had a 11" slope over 18', That was the most level place on the property without trees. Anyplace else would have required major excavation and removal of very large trees. The ground is hard packed crush and run? (large rock and rock dust) that must have been hauled in for drainage by the truckload when the house was built. We had a heck of a time leveling it and could not possibly remove it all so we packed it with a tamper and used aprox. 1 1/2" 0f sand on top and surrounded it by the gravel that was removed to level the spot and packed it around the base to help keep the sand from sliding. We used 15" x 15" concrete stepping stones for the supports and covered the whole thing with the ground cloth included with the pool, Then enclosed it in a frame of 4" X 6" landscape timbers. We used a laser level and the ground is no more than 1/4" off anywhere.

The pool is located about 15' from the house on one 18' side ( we do have a basement) and on the other side is a 3' wall of rail road ties that serve as a retaining wall for established garden, there is only about 2' between the pool supports and the retaining wall. The short side faces a very steep driveway about 15' away. Hopefully if it collapsed the water would be directed down the drive, the path of least resistance. I know the location is less than ideal, Since it is in a undesirable location I want to make sure we do everything possible to help limit the possibility of disaster. We have spent the last 3 weekends trying to get this thing set up and hope to finish this weekend. We have not yet added water.

I will be the only user of the pool (my husband may use it on rare occasions) so it will not be exposed to the stress of a family pool, other than the 4,545 gallons of water, which is amazing to me to begin with that a plastic pool with only a metal top rail and legs can hold that much weight so I am very nervous.

Is this arrangement going to be sufficient? Any other tips before we add water?

One other question, the ladder that came with the pool is pretty scary, narrow & unstable, is there a ladder that someone can suggest that would be more suitable for a woman with bad knees?

Thank you

I have no advice I just wanted to welcome you.

You might want to try online or a pool store for a better ladder, I would think any made for AG pools would work....unfortunately the nicest ones (that would be appropriate for your situation) probably cost more than your pool. :shock:

Good luck :wave:

Welcome to TROUBLEfreePOOLS!

I have an AG Splasher type pool - the one with the pipe rails and supports. Yours sounds similar?

My question would be about the 'rock' under the pool. Is it sharp? You might want to add a happy bottom or some more layer of soft under the set up ... I only suggest this because water is VERY heavy - about 8lbs per gallon - I think. When you add up how much weight you have sitting on the ground (tons)- well you want to make sure nothing sharp 'pops' up. I learned the hard way when we emptied our pool (It's a splasher and technically PORTABLE - ya, right) and then left it empty for a week or two. ALL KINDS of rock rose up and all I can think of is that we took the weight off the area when we removed the water and when we filled it back up - we got lumps! Which I think are rocks that 'floated' up when the water was removed. It's just my theory and I'm not in the industry so ... .

I, too, had a really scary ladder at first, and after about two seasons I realized I wasn't getting in the pool as often because I was terrified of the ladder. So, I scoured the internet to find something that was more like STEPS and less like a ladder. Good luck. They can be expensive but it was worth it just to keep my heart rate down UNTIL I got in the pool! HA! You do want something secure and that won't pull up or move on you - especially if you've got a KNEE you're trying to protect from damage. With the old ladder, I always had someone hold and steady the ladder for me when ever I got in or out of the pool. With the new STEPS/ladder I just make sure I go slow.

If it is like my pool the whole thing will kind of be bending inward until you add water. That's a scary time as it fills. It's all creaking and squeaking and you're just hoping that all the parts are connected as it slowly fills up and the walls start to move out.

Best of luck and I'm glad you found this site. It's the BEST!

dpool

Although not as big as yours, I have an Intex metal framed pool. What I have found is, the smallest wrinkle in the ground cover will have a major ripple in a filled pool. Even though it is easier said than done, make sure there is not going to be any drainage towards your pool!

Over the length of 15ft, there is less than 1 inch difference. but now that we have had a couple of good soaking rain storms, I now have 3 "canals" that any one can follow from one side of the pool to the other in my pool bottom due to rain water running under the pool washing out the sand.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I have no advice I just wanted to welcome you.

You might want to try online or a pool store for a better ladder, I would think any made for AG pools would work....unfortunately the nicest ones (that would be appropriate for your situation) probably cost more than your pool. :shock:

Good luck :wave:
Thank you for the welcome, I am sure I will be here with more questions!

dpool said:
Welcome to TROUBLEfreePOOLS!

I have an AG Splasher type pool - the one with the pipe rails and supports. Yours sounds similar?

My question would be about the 'rock' under the pool. Is it sharp? You might want to add a happy bottom or some more layer of soft under the set up ... I only suggest this because water is VERY heavy - about 8lbs per gallon - I think. When you add up how much weight you have sitting on the ground (tons)- well you want to make sure nothing sharp 'pops' up. I learned the hard way when we emptied our pool (It's a splasher and technically PORTABLE - ya, right) and then left it empty for a week or two. ALL KINDS of rock rose up and all I can think of is that we took the weight off the area when we removed the water and when we filled it back up - we got lumps! Which I think are rocks that 'floated' up when the water was removed. It's just my theory and I'm not in the industry so ... .

I, too, had a really scary ladder at first, and after about two seasons I realized I wasn't getting in the pool as often because I was terrified of the ladder. So, I scoured the internet to find something that was more like STEPS and less like a ladder. Good luck. They can be expensive but it was worth it just to keep my heart rate down UNTIL I got in the pool! HA! You do want something secure and that won't pull up or move on you - especially if you've got a KNEE you're trying to protect from damage. With the old ladder, I always had someone hold and steady the ladder for me when ever I got in or out of the pool. With the new STEPS/ladder I just make sure I go slow.

If it is like my pool the whole thing will kind of be bending inward until you add water. That's a scary time as it fills. It's all creaking and squeaking and you're just hoping that all the parts are connected as it slowly fills up and the walls start to move out.

Best of luck and I'm glad you found this site. It's the BEST!

dpool

Thanks for the information, The ladder is an important consideration, and might even be worth paying more for, I will be doing most of my exercise in the pool when no one is here (my husband travels all week), it would be nice to have someone to hold the ladder or even just to be here to call an ambulance if I fall and break my neck and drown :) so with my knees I need the safety more than anything. That reminds me, I need to find something waterproof for my phone to be accessible just in case.

Thanks again!

PachinkoPlayer said:
Although not as big as yours, I have an Intex metal framed pool. What I have found is, the smallest wrinkle in the ground cover will have a major ripple in a filled pool. Even though it is easier said than done, make sure there is not going to be any drainage towards your pool!

Over the length of 15ft, there is less than 1 inch difference. but now that we have had a couple of good soaking rain storms, I now have 3 "canals" that any one can follow from one side of the pool to the other in my pool bottom due to rain water running under the pool washing out the sand.

I was wondering about drainage going under the pool, how in the world to you keep anything form going under the pool in a soaking rain? I can divert the rain from the slope above the pool with the frame built around it but not anything that falls within the frame itself, I guess if it is flat enough, which I believe it is, it will just puddle around it until it soaks in? I am beginning to think we should have just had a concrete slab poured :)

Thanks much, you confirmed that it is a legitimate concern.

If you're willing to do more construction, you could build a flight of shallow steps up to a platform level with the top of the pool, then hang a ladder off the platform. The shallow steps because that might be easier on a bum knee than ladders on both sides.
--paulr

PaulR said:
If you're willing to do more construction, you could build a flight of shallow steps up to a platform level with the top of the pool, then hang a ladder off the platform. The shallow steps because that might be easier on a bum knee than ladders on both sides.
--paulr

most definately! those intex ladders ..... ummm this is a family site so I can't comment. but yeah, Paul's suggestion is a very good idea! I am in fairly decent shape and the ladder that came with my pool is hard for me to get up and down on...

PaulR said:
--paulr[/q
You know that is a good idea. I am willing for my husband to do more construction, now I guess I should make sure he is, with a little persuasion he might be willing. :whip:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PachinkoPlayer said:
PaulR said:
--paulr

most definately! those intex ladders ..... ummm this is a family site so I can't comment. but yeah, Paul's suggestion is a very good idea! I am in fairly decent shape and the ladder that came with my pool is hard for me to get up and down on...

I am sure you can't have thought anything I have not said out loud, no one here to hear me but my cats and they rarely repeat anything I say.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.