I think I'm about to enter the Twilight Zone.

McDuff

Gold Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
Ft Myers Fla
I live in the Badger State, and have never had a need for a swimming pool. Swore I'd never have one or buy a house that had one. Lake Michigan is literally out my back door, and I never think about what the ph level is, and couldn't care less what the FC, CC, CYA etc, etc. is, as the sun comes up over the horizon. The club pool in Fla has always served it's purpose just fine................until I came across this @%$*# forum. Now, I can't go in the Fla pool because of what I've learned about water quality from the TFP forum. Thank you soooooooo much!

Well, stuff happens. My wife and I moved out of the condo in Fla, and bought a house in the same complex. Came without a pool, GOD bless! Guess what? My wife wants a pool and for the first time ever, I am investigating in a pool. That was six months ago, but it feels like it started six years ago in a poppy field in Turkey.

When it became apparent that a "pool" was about to enter my world, I got on the internet and ended up here. Well, if you're going to do a pool, this is probably the best place to end up. I've read, and learned more about swimming pool equipment, water chemistry, trials and tribulations of pool building than I ever imagined possible. My head was swimming, no pun intended, after reading about what's entailed in building and maintaining a pool.

How is it possible to start up a pool in Fla when I"m not there as a permanent resident? After learning about the AquaBright finish, here on TFP, I figured, maybe just maybe. More questions on this, later.

Anyway, we leave for Fla on Friday to shop for the house and meet again with my new best friend, "the pool builder".

I will take some before pics and will without a doubt have a multitude of inane questions that will probably get me kicked off the forum for ignorance.

I live in the Badger State, and have never had a need for a swimming pool. Swore I'd never have one or buy a house that had one. Lake Michigan is literally out my back door, and I never think about what the ph level is, and couldn't care less what the FC, CC, CYA etc, etc. is, as the sun comes up over the horizon. The club pool in Fla has always served it's purpose just fine................until I came across this @%$*# forum. Now, I can't go in the Fla pool because of what I've learned about water quality from the TFP forum. Thank you soooooooo much!

Well, stuff happens. My wife and I moved out of the condo in Fla, and bought a house in the same complex. Came without a pool, GOD bless! Guess what? My wife wants a pool and for the first time ever, I am investigating in a pool. That was six months ago, but it feels like it started six years ago in a poppy field in Turkey.

When it became apparent that a "pool" was about to enter my world, I got on the internet and ended up here. Well, if you're going to do a pool, this is probably the best place to end up. I've read, and learned more about swimming pool equipment, water chemistry, trials and tribulations of pool building than I ever imagined possible. My head was swimming, no pun intended, after reading about what's entailed in building and maintaining a pool.

How is it possible to start up a pool in Fla when I"m not there as a permanent resident? After learning about the AquaBright finish, here on TFP, I figured, maybe just maybe. More questions on this, later.

Anyway, we leave for Fla on Friday to shop for the house and meet again with my new best friend, "the pool builder".

I will take some before pics and will without a doubt have a multitude of inane questions that will probably get me kicked off the forum for ignorance.

It can be done McD. I staked my pool with the owner of the company, and the next time I saw it, it was done. You just need to hire the right person and trust them to do it right. This method isn't for everyone, and maybe I was just lucky, but it all came out well in the end. You can see my build thread in my signature.

BigE, I actually saw your thread a few weeks ago, but didn't fully digest what you did. I just went back for another look and, Holy Man.....you must have been born under the right stars to pull that off from Chicago? Pretty amazing! Your project is very classy to say the least. Nice job.

In my case, I will have to be around to see it happen in real time, and that is where my dilemma comes in. I don't have a couple months to hang around to do the necessary things needed to start-up a conventional gunite/plaster pool. I'm convinced, the only way to make it work will be to go with the AquaBright finish. If I'm wrong, please, someone help me with this concept. I've just read too many of the projects here to know what's involved.

After a number of phone calls to various installers, I finally found a AB installer who relented to my pleas for him to travel down to
take on the job. I was one Bacardi & coke away from calling Brian D and make my case. It's funny how I feel like I know some of the members of this forum, having spent the hours I have getting ready to take the plunge.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, Jim R. I'm cautiously looking forward to it. Without the info gained from this forum, I'm sure that however it turns out, it would have be infinitely worse.

Before meeting with the pool builder, I have a question. Knowing that the pool is going to sit, unused for periods of time, at least initially, which system would you prefer; a SWG or regular chlorinator? I have no clue, but would like to get it right the first time. Thanks.

Before meeting with the pool builder, I have a question. Knowing that the pool is going to sit, unused for periods of time, at least initially, which system would you prefer; a SWG or regular chlorinator? I have no clue, but would like to get it right the first time. Thanks.

What months will you be gone?

Jim R.

I'm an idiot. Still trying to figure out how to post. I'll try again.

I plan on being gone most of the summer months with quick visits here and there. The rest of the year would be two week stays and gone and then back again throughout. Knowing this, is one system preferred over the other? Obviously I will need regular scheduled maintenance year round. Just wondering what easiest/best.

Think about getting a web/security cam set up on the house so you can watch and capture the process - and maybe see enough to catch things going wrong while you are away as well. Looks like you really want a SWG as well - that will make taking care of the pool much easier if you get it dialed in and as previously mentioned, find a good person on here to take care of it for you vs some Joe off the street.

Just this week I read a thread on "Nextdoor" in the neighborhood and someone had quoted a thread from here at TFP. There was another question or two about filters in another thread and I referred them here. There a ton of people on here - someone will be close by that would want to help out for a reasonable amount I'm sure.

Mc,

In my mind SWCG pools can be left alone for longer periods of time in the summer months.. Not sure it applies in Florida, but SWCGs do not work when the water temperature is below about 55 degrees.

Stenner pumps work in all seasons, but someone has to make sure the chlorine tank is kept filled.

If you are going to have a maintenance crew come by, they will probably have much more experience with SWCG pools than Stenner pools.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mc,

In my mind SWCG pools can be left alone for longer periods of time in the summer months.. Not sure it applies in Florida, but SWCGs do not work when the water temperature is below about 55 degrees.

Stenner pumps work in all seasons, but someone has to make sure the chlorine tank is kept filled.

If you are going to have a maintenance crew come by, they will probably have much more experience with SWCG pools than Stenner pools.

Jim R.

You know I'm a Stenner guy, but figured homeowner would have a harder time finding someone to manage it or know what to do with it, although it really is no work at all. That was my reasoning for suggesting the SWG. Either way he'll want one or the other for sure. As well as a good automation system where he can control the pool and run times, etc remotely. Of course I think Pentair works well for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.