Clear water but high numbers?

gar

Jun 23, 2009
Frederick, Maryland
Hello,
I’m new to the TFP web site and the BBB method, but I’ve been spending some time reading the Pool School and would like an opinion on my best course of action. The water in our pool looks crystal clear but the chlorine demand has been very high and I have not been able to get the FC level in range.
Test results from the pool store are: FC .1, TC 2.1, CC 2, pH 7.4, Hardness 180, Alk. 73 adjusted, CYA 90, TDS 1530, Phosphates 2500, Nitrates 80. After getting the results I’m concerned about the Phosphates, Nitrates and the CYA. I now know the high CYA is a result from using Dichlor to shock and Trichlore pucks to sanitize.
Question: With our Phosphates, Nitrates and CYA levels being so high would our best course of action be a partial water replacement? Also we have a Nature 2 vessel, but I’ve not installed a new cartridge this season. If I were to adopt the BBB method should the Nature 2 be abandoned? Thanks much, gar

Yes, absolutely abandon the N2. Waste of money IMHO.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

You should do a partial drain/refill to lower your CYA. Don't worry about Phosphates and Nitrates - Provided you maintain proper FC levels according to the CYA/Chlorine chart, they are irrelevant.

You have a high CC level. Once you do the drain/refill dance, you will likely need to shock your pool. But get a new set of test results after refilling/recirculating the water.

I would advise you to invest in your own test kit, either the TF100 or the Taylor K2006.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.