Help with persisten CC with FC at 50ppm

May 16, 2017
Vancouver
Hello everybody.
First of all, thank you for this amazing forum and all the knowledge shared.
I have learned so much about hot tubs and water chemistry!

At my work i take care of a 2600liters hottub with an ozonator.

I have adopted the Big Bottles of Bleach method at START will raise all the levels and maintain FC until reaching around 30 CYA and then switch to Bleach, checking CYA from time to time to check it hasn't depleted.

This is an outdoor hot tub located between trees and surrounded with dirt and plants. it's not the ideal location, but that's where it is, so nothing to do about it.

Levels will be OK and maintained without any problem, daily lowering the CC level with bleach and having reading of 0.1 to 0.6 cc always controlled.

But normally after two weeks and specially after weekends of heavy use, the CC gets out of control and bleach doesn't seem to be effective.

I use ColorQ for testing diluted at 1/5 with distilled water to make the reading at this level.

Problems i have faced:

FC always gets low despite use. (I Suppose is from the ozonator)(that i really want to disconnect)
CC gets out of control
PH reach a points in which adding bleach doesn't affect it, but it does affect Alkalinity (just seems weird)

I would love some input from the experts

Now with all the levels between range i cant get the CC below 1 and i have reached 50ppm in FC.

Current reading:

FC: 39.2
TC: 40.2
PH: 7.6
ALK: 91
CH: 134
CYA: 32
Temp: 40C
Liters: 2600

Could it be a defective ColorQ test system or Reagent.?

Please gurus! Some help

Best Regards!
Rod
hottub.jpg

Hi and welcome to TFP!

How often is this hot tub uncovered?

Also, you are running a FC/CYA ratio of over 100%, which is way too high; by a factor of 2-3x too much.

I will bet that uncovering your hot tub from time to time and running a (much) lower FC/CYA ratio you will have better results. Here is a good article with more: How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.