Hayward s220t question

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
OK so, I recently backwashed/rinsed for 2min, unitl sight glass was clear...and now I'm noticing that while the filter is set to filter...the sight glass is only half full...I believe it used to be full when filtering in the past...I also noticed that when the pump kicks in the top of the filter seems to bulge upward about 1/4 inch...pressurized I guess? :shock: Just checking to see if this is normal? Thanks

Anyone else with a hayward sand filter have the same symptoms?

As long as it's not leaking some bulging is ok, but you might want to go around the bolts and check their that they are all still tight with the pump off.

When the filter is in 'filter' the water is held in place in the backwash line just because there's no vacuum break in the line (some sight glasses have one installed), kind of like putting your finger on a straw and lifting it out of a drink. It may be that the seal around the sight glass is allowing a little air in these days, or there's air getting into the line from somewhere else. Any leaks around the valve or sight glass when you're backwashing? Not critical either way, but you're actually better off having the water drain out than having it stuck in the line.

Both are perfectly normal 8)

The 'rise' in the filter is from pressure, a little unsettling to see but, as Tim said - as long as it isn't leaking "No Prob" 8) If the filter lid is shocking to you, you NEVER want to see what happens to flex pipe when it's pressurized :shock:

On the view glass - take a look at the waste port on the multi vs. where the view glass is - 1/2 is where they all sit :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.