Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IntelliFloVS pump program...is this a logical setup?

1. Back To Top    #1

IntelliFloVS pump program...is this a logical setup?

Hi All,
    New pool installed last fall, opened this spring. PB installed an IntellifloVS pump at my request. When the electrician wired the panel, he ran the pump off its own breaker. The SWG and HeatPump are both connected to the Intermatic mechanical timer supplied in the breaker box.

I currently have the Pump running 10a to 8p at 1500rpm (which is above the flow threshold for both the SWG and Heat pump). What makes the most sense:

1. Forget about the mechanical timer, and just let the pump's program run the system. The HP and SWG will only run when pump flow is sufficient to trigger them.

2. Program the pump from say 9:50a to 8:10p, and set the Intermatic timer to 10a to 8p (for the HP and SWG).

I'd really like to take option 1, just in case power failure causes the timers to go out of sync. But is there a problem just using the pump flow to trigger the SWG and HP function? Any help would be much appreciated.
    Viking Coronado IG Fiberglass 13k gallons, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter (320 sqft), Pentair Electric Heat Pump (125k btu), Pentair Intellichlor IC20 SWG. TF-100 Test Kit. Located in SouthEastern PA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IntelliFloVS pump program...is this a logical setup?

Sand,

Running the SWCG and only using the flow switch is not recommended.. It is basically a safety issue. Every SWCG manual specifically says that the controller must have the power removed when the pump is off. The flow switch is only used as a secondary safety device just in case the primary device fails. This is because the SWCG produces chlorine gas....

With the pump, it is not really a safety issue, a failure there will might damage the heater, but nothing will blow up.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: IntelliFloVS pump program...is this a logical setup?

Jim,
    Thanks for the reply. It seems that only the SWG is wired through the mechanical timer, so I guess I'll keep the SWG on the timer--given the risk of generating Hydrogen and Chlorine gases.

Does anyone know if there is risk to the Heat Pump by using the flow switch as its sole on/off switch?
    Viking Coronado IG Fiberglass 13k gallons, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter (320 sqft), Pentair Electric Heat Pump (125k btu), Pentair Intellichlor IC20 SWG. TF-100 Test Kit. Located in SouthEastern PA.