Leaky Valve / Drain Down Valve Diverter Question

Jul 15, 2016
Florida
I have a traditional roof solar heater setup that has a Pentair PTV-2TS solar diverter valve with a "leak down check valve" as its called. However, it doesn't seem to always be draining back to the pool. Can someone tell me if the valve will allow for drain back from the panels even when the diverter valve is turned to bypass and the system is off? Or will it only drain back to the pool when the diverter valve is positioned to operate the solar loop?

Thanks. What does "closed" mean for a diverter valve? I have an inlet from the pump and then it either goes out to the solar panels or bypasses direct to the pool. I assume the drain down is a connection between the "Solar" and "bypass" but does it drain back when the valve is in either position?

For some reason my pool seems to be losing water when the solar panels are in use but not on a regular basis. I'm wondering if I have a small leak that only occurs when there is a head pressure on it if it is not draining back all the time.

Ha, good point, to me closed means solar off. The drain down part of a solar 3way valve is pinhole with a flap that allows water to flow down through the solar valve after it closes. This works in conjunction with the VRV, vacuum release valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.