Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light J box full of Water. Can I fix without draining?

1. Back To Top    #1

Light J box full of Water. Can I fix without draining?

So, one area of grass near the pool was much greener. Yep, Junction box for light is full of water. I've read two solutions: 1. Putty behind the light. 2. Use the rubber plug that goes around the cable.

What should I do? Can I keep from draining the pool? Is this process going to make me hate my pool?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Light J box full of Water. Can I fix without draining?

The junction box is supposed to be above the flood rim level of the pool. don't recall the min height, but it is not to be below the level of the pool
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

It's just a touch below pool level. I can probably do something to lift it an inch or two.

One of my concerns is the pipe freezing in the winter. We keep our pool open all year and run the filter when below freezing. Might be able to run the pool a little low and get the water out of the pipe that's at ground level.

Also, I'm thinking about replacing the light. Obviously, I've got to remedy the water in the electrical wires thing!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mattrufus View Post
    Also, I'm thinking about replacing the light. Obviously, I've got to remedy the water in the electrical wires thing!
    Water in the conduit isn't really an issue. Water in the box is a problem. When you change the light, you can add some length to the conduit to raise the junction box.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat