Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool and Pool guy issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool and Pool guy issues

I'm a newbie on this site so bear with me. I'm lucky enough to have a second home in Florida. We rent the house occasionally. I've had an inground fiberglass pool 15k gals for 3 years now. It had a working SWG system for the first year. After the first year or so, the salt cell stopped working but pool company continued with a floater with chlorine tablets and did the maintenance. We've had three pool companies in 3 years.. The first guy wasn't showing up every week... The second was pinch a penny and the guy we liked left the company...we didn't like his replacement. The third seemed fine but just recently a new guy started showing up and told me he'd been getting very low chlorine readings and that since we rent the house, we'd have to have someone come twice a week...because there's a big risk of e-coli.... I didn't doubt that maybe it was very low those 2 times because it was getting a lot of usuage and if it's a safety issue, i wouldn't cheap out on getting more maintenance twice a week or whatever it needed but something didn't feel right about this. I said to him that that's the first time I've heard that in 3 years...and that maybe we had a lot of usage lately but usually there's not a lot of people usung the pool. . The owner of the company said a similar thing to me. I told him that most of the time the pool doesn't get a ton of usage and I've never heard this before with any of the pool guys... I also said that I could put an inline chlorinator in and maybe that would be safer...I told him, it sounds to me that since I rent the house occasionally, you want to charge me more. So he basically said that he's done then. I said fine and now I need to find a new pool guy.

My questions are: Is it better to just get the SWG system going again?...Should I put an inline or offline chorinator in for the supposed high usuage times? How does any of this effect my next pool company and their maintenance? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool and Pool guy issues

I would get the SWG going again. That basically is an inline chlorinator with a really long supply of chlorine.

And if you keep your chlorine level in line with your CYA according to the information you'll find in Pool School on this site, I wouldn't be worried about E Coli or any other communicable diseases other than to make sure anyone suffering from anything like that stay out of the pool.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed