Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening pool

Hey everyone I am opening my pool this weekend and very excited considering this is my first season opening the pool. my question is when I take the cover off the water level is about a foot , a foot and 1/2 lower than where the water intake and skimmer is , to test the CYA do I test it where out is or do I fill the pool to where it's supposed to be then test it? Just want the best results so I know how much chlorine to put in, thanks

15,000 gal 16x32 above ground, aqua pro 2 hp cartridge filter, Hayward skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Opening pool

Fill it up, circulate for a little bit and then test!
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

My bad Mr Bruce I forgot to add a bit of info before I asked the question . When I close the pool last year my CYA was at 90 I was hoping with somewhat water I lost and the closing of it for a couple months that the CYA go down when I open it . So now to re-ask the question should I test it from where it's at this way if it's still high I can drain the water from where it is instead of filling it and then maybe having to drain anyway? Sorry for the confusion

5. Back To Top    #5

One thing I have learned is, it's always better to test CYA first, then take action (replace water or add cya if its' too low)

If I were you, I would top up the pool, run the pump for an hour, then test and go from there.

If the cya is still high, then you are already ahead since you have added water, will drain some and add more. (if CYA still high)
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Russo221 View Post
    My bad Mr Bruce I forgot to add a bit of info before I asked the question . When I close the pool last year my CYA was at 90 I was hoping with somewhat water I lost and the closing of it for a couple months that the CYA go down when I open it . So now to re-ask the question should I test it from where it's at this way if it's still high I can drain the water from where it is instead of filling it and then maybe having to drain anyway? Sorry for the confusion
    You may have a layer of rainwater or snowmelt on top, so if you want to test CYA before adding, you'll have to devise a way to pull a sample from way down deep. One way is to duct tape an empty water bottle at a 45 angle to your pool pole. Lower it in with the opening point down to trap air in it. Down at the bottom, turn it over so it fills. Then haul it out and test that for CYA. Tap water will have no CYA, so you should be able to figure out roughly where it will end up after refilling and decide if you want to lose a little more water before refilling.

Normally, you want the pump on and the water circulating and mixing a while before drawing a sample.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!