Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to fun pump with spillover spa

1. Back To Top    #1

How to fun pump with spillover spa

Just bought a new house over the winter with an inground pool and an attached spillover spa. The water can be pumped from either the pool or the spa. And the return can be directed to either the pool or the spa as well. The guy at the pool store said I can pull from the pool and return to the spa and let it spill over. Should I always leave it setup like this? Is that enough circulation for the pool itself?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to fun pump with spillover spa

Usually you will also have a couple of returns on the pool as well as the spill over. When you go into spa mode the spill over will stop and just filter the spa. You usually keep it in the pool/spill over mode until you want to use the spa. This is the typical setup but may vary.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

maf,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new New Jersey pool owners...

The only problem with constantly running the Spa spillover is an increase in pH caused by aeration.

As long as your pH is good, then go for it.. It should not effect the pool circulation at all.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

I only draw from the pool and I return about 20% to the spa and the rest to the pool returns. That has worked for me. The spa stays clear.

Don't try to balance the inflow/outflow to the spa. If the pool skimmer basket gets loaded up with leaves, the pump can start starving for water, so it pulls harder from the spa. Eventually you're pulling more from the spa then you're returning and at some point it will empty and start sucking air and the pump will lose prime. Run it dry long enough and you can damage it. I was lucky. I heard a funny noise when I stepped out to have a smoke and caught it before things melted down.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!