Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair 5G pool lights help. What is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair 5G pool lights help. What is this?

Hey Group. Long story short. I saw something that looked like a shadow on the underside of my lights in the pool wall. Under closer inspection, I believe it is rust. I had the pool installed in September of last year. I removed the light from the niche and this is what I found. What would this be coming from the hole in the back?

Pentair5G_1.jpg

Pentair5G_22.jpg

Pentair5G_3.jpg

Pentair5G_17.jpg

Pentair5G_10.jpg
    13.5K, IG 16x36 Wellspring Fiberglass, IntelliFlo VS Pump, Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge, Mastertemp 250,000 BTU Heater, EasyTouch 8 w/ IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair 5G pool lights help. What is this?

You are right, it looks like rust to me too. Many metals are compatible with salt water pools...
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir, Lamotte 3017-G for Borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like dirt that got into the PVC conduit that the line runs through. It's just now working it's way down hill to the light niche.

Sure hope it's not rust! I just installed the same light in my salt pool.
    18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the conduit PVC? Id guess it is. If yes, there is little chance it is rust. The dirt explanation seems like a good one. does it scrub off?
    Jon -- 28kgal, IG, AquaBright, Attached Spa, ~1990, Quad DE 80, Easytouch8, IntelliFloVS-3050, Intellichlor60, IntelliPh, Dolphin DX6, City Water, K-2006/TF-100, SpeedStir, SampleSizer, San Diego, CA

5. Back To Top    #5

My first impression is mud. Can you "scoop" it with net. you should be able to tell by touch.
    Being from the south we have that red clay, Ultisol, which is what I first thought in the pool floor and niche pics.

Using your profile location, it looks like your region has alfisols. Has iron.

My initial guess is maybe it's rust from the soil. Perhaps decoupled conduit allowed it into the niche where it rusted in the niche.

You know your area better than I, check the map:
    soils <-- of Michigan

Gig'em Aggies.

edit: I used the bottom two maps to get soil region. Last shows general of "A2". One above it was also relied on to get most probable soil type. if you don't know for certain your soil type call you local ag extension office.
    Last edited by Mycall9550; 05-16-2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: See post
    45,000 gallon (18x49) in ground plaster in Houston. [Gallery]
    2HP Hayward Northstar Pump, Hayward DE 6020 (60sqft) filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair SuperFlo 1HP -340038 water feature/fountain pump
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 w wireless remote, Hayward TigerShark QC, & Taylor 2006c

6. Back To Top    #6

Grab a magnet and run it thru the goop. If its rust, it will stick.
    Pool: 14,000-gal IG
    Filter: Pentair Sand Dollar, Pump: Pentair Superflo VS
    Automation: Pentair EasyTouch w/ Autelis, Lighting:Globrite
    Pentair SWG IC20, Prowler 820, K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

I just got off the phone with Pentair (again) and the local service company states that some of the rust is coming from the bronze screw that is used to hold the light into the niche. Also, that my electrical installer should have sealed my conduit with potting compound. I'm so confused. I went back and looked at Pentair's install manual and it states to only use the special bronze screw. See image below.
    5G.Installation and Users Guide.jpg
    Secondly, where does it say anywhere that the niche needs to be sealed to the pvc conduit?

Any info to help me when I contact my electrician would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sick.
    13.5K, IG 16x36 Wellspring Fiberglass, IntelliFlo VS Pump, Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge, Mastertemp 250,000 BTU Heater, EasyTouch 8 w/ IC40 SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

So a cup full of rust comes from one screw? I am skeptical. Did you show them the pictures?
    Jon -- 28kgal, IG, AquaBright, Attached Spa, ~1990, Quad DE 80, Easytouch8, IntelliFloVS-3050, Intellichlor60, IntelliPh, Dolphin DX6, City Water, K-2006/TF-100, SpeedStir, SampleSizer, San Diego, CA

9. Back To Top    #9

They come back with "water chemistry....bla bla bla" I'm in contact with the electrician installer and seeing what he used to connect the pvc conduit to the niches. It's going to be a battle I'm afraid.

10. Back To Top    #10

"Rust is iron oxide, formed when iron reacts with moisture and oxygen from it's environment. Bronze contains no iron, it is an alloy of copper and tin (and a few other metals such as zinc, but these are usually minor additions, the major constituents do not vary) so cannot form rust."
    Pool: 14,000-gal IG
    Filter: Pentair Sand Dollar, Pump: Pentair Superflo VS
    Automation: Pentair EasyTouch w/ Autelis, Lighting:Globrite
    Pentair SWG IC20, Prowler 820, K-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

When I first saw it I thought it was Galvanic Corrosion - resulting from a light electrical current being in touch with the metal.

That would be a lot of rust.. in fact a massive amount of rust for a year or two.

IF it is rust I would see if the light is wired and grounded properly at the J box-- but then read this article.

Mystery Stains in Salt Generator Pools - AQUA Magazine

The solution would be to install a sacrificial anode (a softer metal like zinc) that absorbs this charge vs your light niche. Also replace all the niche screws with stainless steel.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100