HELP, iron stains driving me crazy in Clemson!

May 16, 2017
clemson sc
We have had our pool for 7 years now. Never had any problems. We are very low maintenance, we just added salt every once in awhile and it was always beautiful. I don't think we have ever even tested the water;), til this year. After getting it ready for the season we noticed the water was sparkling but the liner and steps were yellow. So I did the only thing I could think of and went to the pool store. Yikes! $400 later, pool looks fabulous again! Yay, money well spent. It looked fabulous for 2 days, then it turned cloudy, shocked it, then noticed stains...again. Back to the pool store, another $150, stains still there. HELP!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You've already learned lesson #1 - stay out of the pool store. Their testing is generally not accurate, and the products extremely expensive and not guaranteed to work. I would recommend the following:
- Order a TF-100 test kit (Link below) as soon as possible. I would suggest the XL option and magnetic speed stir. It's a drop in the bucket compared to what you have already spent (or could spend), and you'll have at-home accurate info to base your next steps on.
- Don't add any other chemicals to the water until you receive your TF-100. Staining and cloudiness are of course two different issues, so we have to be careful to treat each one appropriately.

While waiting for your test kit, review the TFP Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page, and also review/save the vital links you see below in my signature. You will refer to them often. We can certainly help, and our advise is free. But you must be able to test your own water properly, and we can help you do that.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Nice to have you with us.