Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: slaming

1. Back To Top    #1

slaming

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have had a pool for 10 years. Opened the pool last week for the season and found what i think is white water mold. Added some chlorine (7 gallons of 6% bleach) and no fc after an hour. I think a slam is in order. couple of questions. Should i do the slam with the cover closed? I'm thinking yes so i can treat the cover that is in contact with the pool water. Went out and bought 20 gallons, hope this is enough. Should i just keep adding until i get some chlorine to show up?
    ph 7.3
    cya 30
    ta 120
    The water doesn't look to bad and is getting better each day with just filtering,and scrubbing, backwashing, but not having any fc concerns me, even after 10 gallons added. I will attach a pic.
    any and all advice/tips welcome, thx
    john
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14 x 28 10,00 gallon, fiberglass, inground pool, sand filter, automatic cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: slaming

When you opened, did you have any CYA in the pool at all or is the now 30 reading what you've added? How are you testing and when was the CYA test done? Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks, cya was 20 when i opened (from local pool store), i have a tf100 coming in the next day or so. Its up to 30 now ( as of yesterday)i assume from the pucks and powdered chlorine i added. Going strictly with liquid chlorine from here on out.

4. Back To Top    #4

John, have you checked the date of those chlorine bottles? Seven gallons is a LOT, esp if it was truly 6%. Are your pump and filtering functioning properly? Good flow, normal pressure?

You can use Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to determine proper levels and https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to calculate quantities.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

5. Back To Top    #5

yes, chlorine date is fine. I even put the powdered chlorine in from the pool store. Usually do one bag or 10k gallon pool, used 4 bags, still no fc. Pump is running fine, filter also. Pressure went up about 4-5 psi, back to normal after backwashing.