Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this Calcium Leeching?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this Calcium Leeching?

Hey guys, I've been in a slow but sure slam process for close to a month. Being away from home a lot means I fall below the shock level throughout the day, but last night i finally passed the over night chlorine loss test. I've been so worried about shock levels, free chlorine, and pH, that I haven't been thinking about Calcium hardness. My reading was 60, which i know is extremely low for the plaster in my pool.

Since owning the pool for a year, I have noticed these spots where it looks as if it has chipped or scraped off. I just thought it was attributing from an aging pool, but since i just recently been visiting the forums, and have learning l learned pool chemistry, is this what Calcium Leeching looks like? If so, aside from raising CH to keep it from continuing, is there any side effects to this other than it's not very pretty? It isn't terrible, this is the worst part. Is there a process of repairing it with a full drain in the future?

~11,500 gallon in-ground 27 x 13 ft
    3 ft in shallow, 5.5 ft in deep
    Plaster bottom/fiberglass sides(?)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this Calcium Leeching?

By the way, some said they had never seen a pool that is part fiberglass part plaster. I finally can get pictures of it. Am i crazy or is that what my pool is?

3. Back To Top    #3

There are hybrid pools with plaster bottoms and fiberglass sides. Are you crazy? Ask your spouse.

Yes, etching is calcium dissolving from the plaster into the water leaving pits. Raising the CH and keeping your pH in range will stop the process. There is not any good way to repair it. If there are rough spots that hurt feet then you can sand them with 80-100 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

More here about CH levels, Pool School - Recommended Levels
    More here about how to raise CH, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    More here about etching, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

More here about how to put your pool info into your signature, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

The Pool Math app says to add 23 lbs of calcium chloride. That would be $50 or so of the stuff at Lowe's. Does this sound right?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, or you can order some of the de-icers mentioned in the pool chems page and save some dough
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm in NH. I bought a 50 lb bag of de-icer (100% CaCl) at Lowes for $18. This was in April. I was there last week and they moved their de-icer stock to the pool section. Same price. Paying $50 is way too much...
    18x38 29,000 Gallon SWG IG/Gunnite Pool built 2016 with WetEdge Luna Quartz Bermuda plaster, Hayward Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Sta-Rite Cartridge Filter, Hayward 400 BTU ASME Propane Heater, AquaPlus PL-Plus logic with Hayward Sense&Dispense CO2 & Salt Cell, Auto-Cover