What does everyone use to heat their pool?

cherry

Jun 24, 2009
I have a huge solar cover that i myself cannot move around so im looking for an alternative, some way to heat the water that i myself can handle.

Do those solar pills and such work? Is there anything cheaper?

We use the solar sun rings. We don't have a deck on yet and it is really hard to move around a 30ft solar cover so we thought we would try them. They aren't as good as a cover itself, but they do heat our pool and I think they also reduce evaporation. The only pain is bugs and Crud get between them and it doesn't skim well. That would be my only complaint.

Welcome to TFP.

Give us a little more info about your pool and we can be of more help.

As was suggested above, some covers are lighter than others. You can also use a cover reel. Another option that works better than it sounds is to cut the cover into manageable pieces.

Using a solar blanket without a roller type system is very difficult (unless it it cut into small pieces as previously suggested). I purchased a roller when I purchased the solar blanket. The roller has the 3.5" tube (don't get one with the 1.5" tube!). It takes about 1 minute to open the pool (ensuring everything is rolling up nice and smooth). Takes about 2 mintues to close. All of this is with one person. With an extra hand, only about 1/2 of the time as listed above. We LOVE our blanket and reel! :-D

Travis

My solar cover is 16' wide and gets most of the pool, then I cut a smaller piece to cover the ell. There's no room for a roller. Getting this on and off by hand is tedious but not painful. When it's time to replace it I'm gonna get it 12' wide so I'll have two more similar-sized sections; the 12' wide strips should be easier to manage by hand.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.