Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacement SWG

The pool company replaced my Pentair IC20 Salt Cell yesterday while I was at work . I came home to find that it was installed upside down . Before I call to rip them I wanted to ask if there is any practical application for doing that ? Trying to read it That way makes me dizzy. Thank you
    IG 18.5K Kidney shaped vinyl 6ft deep
    Intellichlor IC20 SWG ,Pentair Trintron II Sand filter
    Hayward pump, Aquabot cleaner, Taylor K2006 test
    Everything I know about my pool I learned from TFP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacement SWG

K,,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for PB ripping pool owners...

When you say upside down, do mean the control panel is on the bottom or is your cell installed vertically and your flow switch is at the top???

As a side note, an IC20 on a 19K pool is not really big enough and may be the reason the unit had to be replaced. We always recommend that a SWCG system be 2 x the pool volume so in your case we would go with an IC40.

Curious as to how long you have to run your pump and at what SWCG percentage to keep your pool chlorinated?

Why was the cell replaced?

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

The Intellichlor has to be installed in an orientation that allows the flow to be in the right direction. There is an arrow on the case showing the proper direction of flow. If it is just a case of the display facing the wrong direction, you can loosen the unions and spin it to a better position.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

It is installed vertically and the flow arrow is pointing to right. i'm not in a place to send a pic but the sanitizer output button/lights are at the top and salt level indicator at the bottom .i have to tilt my head And shoulders to read the words .
    I'm the new owner of a home with existing pool . I don't have an indication of the chlorination output percentage yet as I'm battling algae I think. We wrote replacement of the pump motor, multi port and salt cell in the purchase contract . The Pentair IC20 had a manufacture date of 2008

5. Back To Top    #5

As long as the arrow on the IC20 is pointing in the direction of the water flow, it's installed in the correct direction. Unfortunately, that can mean all the words can be upside down or backwards (25% chance of it being readable).
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

6. Back To Top    #6

If the flow light is not red, it's installed correctly. Mine is installed with the flow going downward, which makes the control panel upside down. There's probably a way to reverse the panel itself, but I just haven't bothered.
    20x40 28kgal in-ground vinyl built 2011, liner replaced 2017
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D sand filter, Pentair SuperFlow 1HP pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Dolphin Active 30i
    City water, TF-100 test kit + speedstir.
    Recommended Levels | Chlorine/CYA Chart | SLAM

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks all , It sounds like the flow is correct and the orientation is not important to operation . I'm going to get them back out to turn it around . No reason to strain my neck trying to read it . Thanks again

8. Back To Top    #8

Update -I asked the pool company to come out and fix the orientation . They came and then decided that it would go right side up amd said Pentair had changed the flow on the new models . I thought it was odd that they didn't know that before they came back to change it . Anyway I didn't believe them so I called Pentair support . They confirmed the new installed models will be upside down . If you're not familiar with the function lights and lay out it's pretty difficult to read. SILLY