Replacing my pump with VS

May 11, 2017
Elk River, MN
My local pool store suggested that a new Pentair VS pump is a direct replacement for my old Pentair single speed pump w/ the same plumbing dimensions. If this is true, then I might as well do it myself if no major plumbing alterations are necessary. My pump specs are in the signature. what is the right VS pump to replace it with, and are the pluming specs the same as suggested?
Tom

Tom,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pump buying pool owners... :shark:

The SuperFlo has different dimensions for the inlet and outlet compared to what you have now.

But all that matters little unless your current pump has unions, as you will have to cut the PVC anyway..

In my mind it should be illegal to install a pump without pump unions... :p

Pump unions look like this and have an O-Ring on the threaded end....

Thanks,

Jim R.

Attachments

• Union.jpg
    Union.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 103
So I have no idea, but a picture of your existing pump and it's connections might help someone who has a clue :)

Took a quick look at the whisperflo specs, and if I was looking at the right pump, it can run off of either 115 or 220V.
Do you know what voltage the pump is running from ?

Randy

MyWhisperFloPump 17-0528.jpgconnected to 220v.
Actually, I made the executive decision to go with the Pentair 011018 VS regardless of whether it is an exact fit replacement or not. We just bought the house (with pool) 12 months ago and it has no automation or timers and this thing runs 24-7, 6 months out of the year. It's really quiet, but it's also really expensive not to make the change ASAP.

Up to you if you already received and installed pump but without a spa, there really isn't a need for the intelliflo pump as you will never need the max hp to do anything your pool requires. The Superflo would be more than enough pump. That intellifo maxes at 3hp and Superflo at 1.5 (actually higher when you add in Service Factor) If you stay with Intelliflo, I would recommend dialing way down and maybe considering changing max speed on it down so it doesn't even prime at max speed 3450 rpm because that is alot of pump. Good Luck!

obt,

Don't be scared of the IntelliFlo because it is a 3 HP pump.. These pumps should be called variable HP pumps as that is what they are.. I have two of them at rent houses that have 1.5" pipes and they work great!!!

They actually run more efficiently at lower speeds than smaller pumps.

While the unions you have will work, they are not pump unions. Notice in your picture the connection between the pump and the pipe still relies on the threaded connection to not leak. Pump Unions have an O-Ring between the pump and the pipe which eliminates these leaks.

You don't have to run your pool pump 24/7, but if you do, it will not cost much. For reference, I can run mine at 1,200 RPM, 24/7, for less than $20 bucks a month.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I considered the Superflo, because my pool is not that big, but I went with the larger one in the off-chance that we expand in the next couple of years. The wife has been hinting already. The pool, liner, cover and all equipment is 10 years old and although it is all in good shape and perfectly serviceable, much of it is nearing the end of its life cycle. SWG and controller are next- looking for automation.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Tom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tom,

If you know that you are going to get automation, you need to make sure that the pump, the SWCG, and the automation system can all 'talk" to one another.

The best way to ensure that is to buy one brand of equipment. Even that is not a sure thing.. For example, the IntelliFlo is designed to work with the Pentair EasyTouch, while the SuperFlo is not.

So, if automation is in your future, the IntelliFlo is the only real choice.

Here is a blurb that I wrote a while back that might wet your automation appetite... :p

Many people have pools without automation and they work just fine. I do, however, think it is important to know the advantages and the disadvantages of having an automation system.

1. Automation will help you with pool maintenance, but it will not replace the need for you to test your water, understand what you are looking at, and then making sure your water is balanced. (Another reason you need the accuracy of the TF100 test kit.)

2. The main downside to automation is cost. So before going too far down this path, you might ask your PB what it's going to cost. That said, the best time to install automation is when the pool is being built, because all the connections to the system can be made without having to figure out how you are to get power across 50' of new deck. Also, the additional cost, when compared to the cost of the pool, will be miniscule.

3. Automation systems work best when the same brand is used because then the pieces can "talk" to together. So, in your case I would recommend the EasyTouch 4 (or 8) that has a built in power supply for the SWG and generally comes with the SWG and two valves. ScreenLogic2 is an absolute requirement if you want to be able to control things from your PC or Phone.

Here is a list of what I think the advantages are:

1. Appearance. Instead of having a bunch of different boxes hanging on your wall you have one, professional looking enclosure.

2. Circuit Breaker Panel. The bottom half of the enclosure is a circuit-breaker panel where the breakers for your pool equipment (Pumps, Heater, etc.) are located. This panel is also an excellent place to add surge protector, which is an absolute must if you have the Intelliflo pump. Even if you do not get the automation, make sure your PB includes a surge protector for the pump.

3. SWG Control. Without automation, your SWG will have to have a timer, synced to the pump timer so that it does not run when the pump is off. This function is built into the EasyTouch.

4. Spa mode and SWG output. Normally all the water flows through the SWG, so when in the Spa mode, the EasyTouch reduces the amount of chlorine the SWG produces, so that the Spa users are not subjected to high levels of chlorine.

5. Pool Lighting. The EasyTouch allows you to control your pool lighting from your PC and/or from a schedule. This is another reason to add the EasyTouch now. Once your pool light is wired to switches inside your house, it might be very difficult to get the wiring to any automation system.

6. Control of Spill-over and bubblers. Right now I'm sure you are thinking I want that spillover running 24-hours a day because it is so beautiful.. Well, after a few weeks of having your pH go through the roof, you'll appreciate the ability to only turn it on, when you want it on. The same with the bubblers. With the Easytouch, you can program them to run on a schedule for a few minutes a day to keep the everything properly chlorinated or when you want to "show off" to your guests..

7. Relay Control. The EasyTouch 4 has four (really three) relays that can be used to control other things, such as landscape lights. (The EasyTouch has 8 (really 7) relays.

8. Built in Valve controls. The EasyTouch has the ability to control 4 valves. Two work for switching between the Pool and Spa modes, while two others can be programmed to do whatever you might want, like bubbler control. I would note that a lot of bubblers are controlled by manual valves that cannot be automated. You need to be sure to tell your PB that you want Jandy style valves for your bubbler control.

9. Heater Control. The EasyTouch can control your heater.. So, you can be inside and tell your PC what temperature you want the Spa to be and it will tell you when it is ready.

10. ScreenLogic. ScreenLogic allow you to program the EasyTouch with various schedules. It lets you see most all of the inputs and output to the EasyTouch and lets you decide what you want on/off and in the case of your SWG, lets you adjust the % of output on the fly. Buying an EasyTouch without ScreenLogic is like eating a tough steak without a knife, it can be done, but it takes all the fun out of it... :cool:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.