Replacing buried pool

Susied

Silver Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Decatur, TX
In 2004, we buried a pool. It lasted 12 years and after getting estimates for an in ground, we have decided to try it again. The place where we bought it has since gone out of business, otherwise, we wouldnt hesitate to buy there again. We're in the DFW TX area and have found only a couple places who even sell above grounds. And, they certainly don't agree with what we did, and emphasize it will void the warranty. That was true the first time around as well, but, price difference is enormous. The only manufacturer I can find who warrants a buried above ground is doughboy. I'm going to try to attach a picture.
Do you think ordering one online would be better or a local?
any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

image.jpg

Howdy! I really want to see what you do here. We buried our Doughboy 2 years ago and have been very happy with it, we even have a deep end. The other option we were considering was ordering one online. You're absolutely right, it's hard to find a "local" place in DFW. Good luck and please keep us posted!

We ended up buying a doughboy Desert Spring 18x34 and are doing ground prep now. Husband got the concrete cut out about 18" all the way around where the existing pool was. Now we are waiting for the excavator to come this afternoon to dig an additional 2 feet deep.
We are running into issues though. The way doughboy explains installation for inground, you have to leave a 1/2-1" down from top screws on rails so it doesn't look like it will be completely inground. Looks like it's going to be a tripping hazard to me. But, I see pictures everywhere, even on their website where the top rails are flush, some even covered, by concrete or pavers and I've yet to find out how they did it with any expectations of changing the liner down the road. Also, we upgraded to the easy clip liner rather than the overlay because the store where we bought it told us going all the way inground we needed that type in case of replacement. So, no deep end, they're not expandable. HOWEVER, here again, I see pictures where pool is buried, rails covered, and a 7' deep end. Wish I could find out how to contact someone who has installed one that way so we could pick their brain! And, I have to complain just a little about Doughboy customer service. I've called the number, emailed them directly, even asked on their Facebook page to have someone contact me and they seem non-existent. Don't answer the 800 number, emails, nothing. I've been trying to talk to someone there since we bought it two weeks ago. Spending twice as much on this pool, you expect SOME kind of customer service!

We we never replaced the old pools liner, it was still in perfect shape. We lucked out on that pool, it was cheap, but a great pool. Never had a problem. We had two days of major flooding last year, our house flooded, and the water was coming too fast for drainage to keep up and the sides caved in. And now, looking back, my husband thinks it probably could have been fixed. We were too focused on the house problems and the pool just got away.

If if anyone has any answers, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm certainly not going to be as happy with this install if it's a tripping hazard.

We ended up buying a doughboy Desert Spring 18x34 and are doing ground prep now. Husband got the concrete cut out about 18" all the way around where the existing pool was. Now we are waiting for the excavator to come this afternoon to dig an additional 2 feet deep.
We are running into issues though. The way doughboy explains installation for inground, you have to leave a 1/2-1" down from top screws on rails so it doesn't look like it will be completely inground. Looks like it's going to be a tripping hazard to me. But, I see pictures everywhere, even on their website where the top rails are flush, some even covered, by concrete or pavers and I've yet to find out how they did it with any expectations of changing the liner down the road. Also, we upgraded to the easy clip liner rather than the overlay because the store where we bought it told us going all the way inground we needed that type in case of replacement. So, no deep end, they're not expandable. HOWEVER, here again, I see pictures where pool is buried, rails covered, and a 7' deep end. Wish I could find out how to contact someone who has installed one that way so we could pick their brain! And, I have to complain just a little about Doughboy customer service. I've called the number, emailed them directly, even asked on their Facebook page to have someone contact me and they seem non-existent. Don't answer the 800 number, emails, nothing. I've been trying to talk to someone there since we bought it two weeks ago. Spending twice as much on this pool, you expect SOME kind of customer service!

We we never replaced the old pools liner, it was still in perfect shape. We lucked out on that pool, it was cheap, but a great pool. Never had a problem. We had two days of major flooding last year, our house flooded, and the water was coming too fast for drainage to keep up and the sides caved in. And now, looking back, my husband thinks it probably could have been fixed. We were too focused on the house problems and the pool just got away.

If if anyone has any answers, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm certainly not going to be as happy with this install if it's a tripping hazard.

It's probably much too late for a response (seeing how this was posted a few months back), but basically Doughboy recommends that clearance for accessing the screws to remove the top rail if/when a liner change is needed. You can bury it flush, as long as whatever you use on those last couple of inches under the top rail is something that could be easily dug out (e.g. you backfill most of the void with the slurry mix required by Doughboy, then top off with soft soil/mulch/gravel to allow for easy removal, if needed). EDIT: You should also know that, if you're using an expandable liner (which, I assume since you're going with a deep end) it should be much more than just a few inches of clearance. The installation of the expandable liner requires the liner to be stretched over the top rail quite a ways... As much as a couple of feet, in some pool models... If you are going with a unidepth setup and a beaded liner, you just need clearance to get to those screws.

Doughboy makes a great product, but their support channel seems to be very re-seller and pro installer oriented. They don't seem to care to talk directly with customers or potential customers.

Where I live in Western Washington, above ground pool options are VERY limited. We have a fairly good Doughboy reseller and it is very easy to get answers back and forth by going through them. I personally think that's a bit arrogant of DB, but I do enjoy working with and talking with my pool store and have established a good relationship with them, so I don't mind it too much. If you ordered online, it might make things a bit more frustrating, but if you purchased from a local PS, I'd use them as the middle-man to get answers from DB.

If you've ever watched the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld, that is how I view Doughboy... Their product standing gives them an over-inflated sense of superiority.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.