After 2 months of research, I still need some advice!

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
I have been doing pool research for the last few months and have narrowed down my search to the Intex Ultra Frame pools. Ideally 18ft round (maybe even a 20ft). From what I have read, it seems that the pumps/ladders that come with them are pretty crappy. So my first question..

What pump upgrade is recommended for this size pool? Would I be ok with the one it comes with if this is a seasonal pool thats taken down at the end of the season? I live in Michigan...

I also have interest in the salt water system...but again, I have no clue which one to buy! Any recommendations?

I have noticed these pools come in either 48" depth or 52". Is there really THAT much of a difference? How far do these pools actually fill up?

I have hired my electrician to get my outlets out to my yard, so purchasing my pool and equipment is all thats left. Any help would be very much appreciated on the best route for purchase. Amazon? Walmart? Kmart? I have also seen a company called VM Innovations? Usually I would go right to Intex website to order, but it looks like they dont sell them directly.

Sorry for all the amateur questions...this is all very new to me and I just want to make sure that I am doing everything right. Looking forward to responses. In the mean time I will be surfing the board!

We have a 15x36 and can't wait until it dies so we can get a bigger one. We run it with the Intex SWG and the Intex 3000 gpm filter and they all work great together. I do think with a larger pool we'd upgrade to a filter that has 2 speeds. The ladder *is* garbage. We'll eventually get around to building a small deck, but we're doing the kitchen this year so it will have to wait.

Hi there
Here's my two cents...
I moved in 2011 and went from an in ground pool to an above ground Intex Ultra Frame 18x48. I'm in Texas, but still have taken it down every year...rethinking that the more I read here. There has definitely been a learning curve going from one pool type to the other.

Initially, with the 18x48, I purchased the older Intex Krystal Clear Salt Water system and the lower Intex 635T-1500GPH pump that came with the pool. The pump worked great. The SWG had a problem about three months into use...twice...the first season....could have been my lack of knowledge...ok it probably was my lack of knowledge. It was under warranty. I had my receipts, walked into the store, and it was replaced, with no questions, by Target. Other than that, everything worked GREAT, virtually no troubles and had I known about this site I probably would have avoided any minor chemistry problems more easily.

Last year would have been the fifth season. Everything was still functioning well. Put the pool up, filled it halfway and noticed leaking. Didn't know to try patching :-( so I bought the 18x52 online because it fit my existing pad site and I couldn't find an 18 footer in store. It came with a another 1500gph pump and a different model Intex Saltwater system. Again, if I had known about this site, I could have patched and gotten more time out of the first pool and equipment.

Ummmmmm, unless you're handy or want to spend extra money eventually modifying double water outlets, which I did this year, I would go with the 18x48 or one with a single water outlet. The four extra inches of water hasnt been that noticeable one way or another for us.
#1 suggestion...I would try to purchase a pool with a SINGLE water outlet. The 18x52 seem to all have duel suction outlets and I found them to be more problematic than the single.
If all new pools have the double outlet (where the water comes out of the pool in two places and T's into the filtration pump), I would still go with the 18x48 and #2 suggestion....purchase it in store or purchase whatever pool set you can in store. Purchasing online, in my recent experience, makes dealing with warranties on equipment and whole pool sets more difficult. I would do my initial, under warranty purchase of anything large in store. That's just my opinion. VM Innovations may be better about it, They have a pretty big presence on Amazon & Jet and I've noticed Amazon offering extended warranties now with some purchases.

Also, depending on whom you buy from, the shipping cost for some of the full Intex pool sets makes them almost equal in cost to in store. I encourage you to keep your receipts for at least a year, either way. I forgot on the first Saltwater and thankfully they could look it up w my card. Target, Academy, Walmart have just taken care of the any problems by replacing faulty/fussy equipment a lot longer or more easily.

Purchasing parts for modifications, additions (like my new favorite...the Intex Auto Pool Cleaner which required an upgrade to a 2500GPH Pump), lighting, lower dollar doodads and items, I do almost all through Amazon & Jet.

Using this site is great...the people are so helpful and knowledgeable.
Have fun

Thanks for the replys!

Target has an 18x48 right now for 499.00, but it looks like it comes with a filter cartridge pump, while others I have seen (Amazon, Sears/Kmart, VM Innovations) come with a Sand Pump. I have also seen the 20x48 too; and while not opposed to that size, I am finding that it's not as popular. I cant find a Gorilla pad that comes in the 20' and both of those come with a 1500 pump.

The sand pumps that come with the 18x52's are 2100 flow rate and 1600 system flow rate....Im pretty clueless if they would work OK, or if I definitely should upgrade right off the bat. The lowest price I have seen at this size with a sand pump is 599.00.

My local stores only get a few of these in at a time, so I have to make a move as they go quick in my area. I prefer to purchase from a local store, but it looks like the salt system will more than likely have to be purchased on amazon (best price).

With this being my first pool, and my husband not being super handy, I dont think I would be interested in doing any modifications right away. Im just so conflicted with the pumps and Saltwater chlorinators..my eyes are crossing from all the youtube videos I have been watching and threads that I have been searching through! :)

Thanks for the replys!

Target has an 18x48 right now for 499.00, but it looks like it comes with a filter cartridge pump, while others I have seen (Amazon, Sears/Kmart, VM Innovations) come with a Sand Pump. I have also seen the 20x48 too; and while not opposed to that size, I am finding that it's not as popular. I cant find a Gorilla pad that comes in the 20' and both of those come with a 1500 pump.

The sand pumps that come with the 18x52's are 2100 flow rate and 1600 system flow rate....Im pretty clueless if they would work OK, or if I definitely should upgrade right off the bat. The lowest price I have seen at this size with a sand pump is 599.00.

My local stores only get a few of these in at a time, so I have to make a move as they go quick in my area. I prefer to purchase from a local store, but it looks like the salt system will more than likely have to be purchased on amazon (best price).

With this being my first pool, and my husband not being super handy, I dont think I would be interested in doing any modifications right away. Im just so conflicted with the pumps and Saltwater chlorinators..my eyes are crossing from all the youtube videos I have been watching and threads that I have been searching through! :)
Kmart has the 20 x 48 for $449

Honestly, I would keep it simple, learn about leveling the ground and pool chemistry, and have fun .
Level the ground WELL the first time....it really matters...I used a level. sand, a tamper, and a 2'x4'x12' as a radius with the level placed on the 2x4. I'm sure there are easier ways. It's gotten easier each year...most of the time I get it with less than an inch difference around the pool. One year it was more than an inch from side to side...lost alot more water. Thankfully the pool wasn't compromised.
Then just learn and upgrade as you go. I worked with what the pool came with and it worked just fine with LOTS of fun had with some minor tweeking.
The only thing I upgraded right away was going to the saltwater system and that was for my kid's allergy reasons.

I have kept using the cartridge pump instead of changing to the sand bc both pools came with cartridge. I just wash with a high powered garden hose sprayer rather than tossing them. I reuse them and typically have had to buy 4 cartridges a season.

Have fun:)

I like the way you think! Upgrading as I go sounds to be good advice. After all having a pool in Michigan means very limited times for swimming in the year! I want to enjoy as much of it as I can! Excited to make my pool purchase today! :)

Honestly, I would keep it simple, learn about leveling the ground and pool chemistry, and have fun .
Level the ground WELL the first time....it really matters...I used a level. sand, a tamper, and a 2'x4'x12' as a radius with the level placed on the 2x4. I'm sure there are easier ways. It's gotten easier each year...most of the time I get it with less than an inch difference around the pool. One year it was more than an inch from side to side...lost alot more water. Thankfully the pool wasn't compromised.
Then just learn and upgrade as you go. I worked with what the pool came with and it worked just fine with LOTS of fun had with some minor tweeking.
The only thing I upgraded right away was going to the saltwater system and that was for my kid's allergy reasons.

I have kept using the cartridge pump instead of changing to the sand bc both pools came with cartridge. I just wash with a high powered garden hose sprayer rather than tossing them. I reuse them and typically have had to buy 4 cartridges a season.

Have fun:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.