Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking plumbing, want to DIY... guidance?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking plumbing, want to DIY... guidance?

We just opened the pool, but the plumbing on the return side of our filter pump has a leak. It looks like the glue/seal between the black pipe and the white pipe has broken. I'm not necessarily a plumbing person, but my other half is comfortable doing this kind of work. Are there any special considerations or tips for repairing this leak?

Untitled
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaking plumbing, want to DIY... guidance?

Looks like you have a black union fitting that attaches to the pump and then a white union fitting above that (not sure why you would need this white one).

Likely you will have to find and buy a new black union that will fit the pump (this may have proprietary threads). Then you might be able to just cut out the white one completely, add some pipe and use a PVC / CPVC solvent with primer on the new black union fitting.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Leaking plumbing, want to DIY... guidance?

PrairieGirl, Your signature made me chuckle! The plumbing is relatively easy the hard part is getting all the right parts at the store. The color of the union won't really matter as long as it screws on. If it is his first time trying plumbing I would suggest buying extra parts because nobody like running back for one more piece.

Make sure to prime the parts before applying glue, the primer takes seconds to dry. They sell a purple primer and most places have a clear primer. Building inspectors like to see the purple primer in the house, they don't care about your pool plumbing.
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir, Lamotte 3017-G for Borates