Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Matt from Central Arkansas. Dow flake ice melt for calcium? 83-87% Cal Chloride

1. Back To Top    #1

Matt from Central Arkansas. Dow flake ice melt for calcium? 83-87% Cal Chloride

Just wondering if I can use this stuff? Previous owner left a big bag. If not, what should I use? What's the difference? I read another thread about this, but seemed more opinion and less fact. Has someone used snow melt for calcium for a long time. My main concern is the 13-17% that's not Cal Chlor. Also, if something else is recommended, what's it composition.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Matt from Central Arkansas. Dow flake ice melt for calcium? 83-87% Cal Chloride

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, it is fine to use. More here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Matt from Central Arkansas. Dow flake ice melt for calcium? 83-87% Cal Chloride

Ice melt works fine. I used this stuff from Amazon. Free Shipping, 94% Calcium Chloride. I premixed it in a bucket before adding it to the pool. Makes a nice steamy soup.
    Pool: 40x15ft "Mt. Lake" shaped plaster IG (30k gallons with Borates)
    SWG: Circupool Si-45
    Pumps: Hayward MaxFlo VS (SP2302VSP) + Booster Pump for Polaris 180
    Robot: Kreepy Krauly 830 || Filter: Pentair Tagelus TA-60D (Sand)
    Test Kit: TF-100 (with Speed Stir)

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, better not to premix it, it gets hot! See link above on how to add chems to a pool.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys! I have added about 10 pounds already. Didn't seem to cause any problems. Maybe a little hit with water clarity. Probably gonna add another 15 pounds this weekend. Anyone else have a preferred product, let me know. I'll check out the recommended chemicals link.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just read the recommended. I didn't know that the filter should be turned off when adding salt. I thought the circulation would aid mixing/ dissolving.

7. Back To Top    #7

Where did you see that? Here is what it says for salt

Salt can simply be dumped into the pool. Spread it around a bit with a brush so there aren't any large piles, and leave the pump running for 24 hours after adding salt. If you have a SWG, it should be turned off while you are adding salt and for the next 24 hours.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Didn't think through it. When we run our filter, the SWG kicks on. I'm sure I can turn it off and let the filter keep going. Sorry for the slip.
    Didn't know the SWG had to be turned off either.

9. Back To Top    #9

Aha! That explains it. Yes, the salt tends to pool in high concentrations while it is dissolving and it isn't all that good for the SWG to have very high salt water going through it.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Speaking of bad SWGs, is there an easy way to tell if it's working? My chlorine seems to be lacking. My thought was boost it for 12 hours. If I don't show appropriate chlorine, there must be a problem. It's crazy how many testing strips I've been going through.
    I must admit, I've been running it while adding salt. I think my system cuts it off when it's outside the workable range. I cleaned it a week ago and it looked great.