New Guy.....Replacing Whining Pump Motor....Source/Reference for Seals???

Tsu45

May 14, 2017
Louisiana
Hate to be the new guy that shows up and immediately starts asking for help........but I wouldn't have found this place if I had not been having problems. :) Tons of info to go through and learn so that I can take care of my pool.

Right now I'm in a rush to get my motor replaced. Came home from vacation and it is whining like a jet engine. Looked around on this site as well as youtube and think I can knock this out myself. What I am struggling with is sourcing the correct seals. I read another thread where a helpful member posted some examples of higher quality seals (mainly shaft variety) sourced at cheaper rates than what you can get the lower quality ones for at Leslies (our local store). Is there a reference for these? I would like to get a new seal for every one I could replace in the motor replacement process, just so that they are on hand in case needed.

My motor:
Century B2854
Part#0-F56AA40A01-24
Frame Y56Y
1.5 HP
3450RPM
Hooked up to 220v

Motor is only ~2yrs old. It was replaced under a home warranty from when we bought the house. Here is the motor I think is a direct replacement: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ATO17W/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IBY0QNA685QV5&colid=1TO2PHES2RC3H

My Pump:
Pentair Whisperflo high performance pump

Can't find any other info on it. Should I measure the impeller while I have it apart to make sure the pump is sized correctly?

In the long run I would really like to go to a variable motor that I learned about on here to reduce energy costs. Right now I just want to replace it as quickly as possible before it goes completely out.

Do you have a local pool store besides the chain ones? We have a good local one who sold us a motor last summer for our DIY replacement like you. They were so helpful when we needed some extra parts (face plate I think it was...doesn't come with the motor and ours had melted). They sold us a package with a bunch of different seals to finish the job.

I know around here on TFP we don't trust the pool store for our water testing. But I can attest that our local one was good for help with motor replacement.

Also, you might give inyopools.com a call too.

Do you have a local pool store besides the chain ones? We have a good local one who sold us a motor last summer for our DIY replacement like you. They were so helpful when we needed some extra parts (face plate I think it was...doesn't come with the motor and ours had melted). They sold us a package with a bunch of different seals to finish the job.

I know around here on TFP we don't trust the pool store for our water testing. But I can attest that our local one was good for help with motor replacement.

Also, you might give inyopools.com a call too.

I haven't really looked locally. Kind of afraid of what they will charge for a motor but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask!

The PS1000 is not very good quality. I would recommend the PS-3865R, it's a better seal.

Also, your current motor is a total of 1.65 HP. That's probably too big. I would down size to a 1.25 hp and a 073127 impeller.

http://www.ussealmfg.com/pdfs/Pool-Spa-Pump-Products.pdf, a Whisperflo pump takes a PS 1000. You will also have to replace the diffuser o ring and seal plate gasket. The motor you chose is the right replacement for the other, but they are uprated motors so the impeller is probably a 1hp full rate

Thanks for the link! I don't see the diffuser o ring and seal plate basket on there. Know what those are? I don't mind buying a whole seal kit even if I don't need everything that comes with it. I'll just store them as spares.

The PS1000 is not very good quality. I would recommend the PS-3865R, it's a better seal.

Also, your current motor is a total of 1.65 HP. That's probably too big. I would down size to a 1.25 hp and a 073127 impeller.

I have an ozone system and looking at the recommendations, the PS-3865R appears the way to go.

What is the downside of too much HP? Wasting electricity or other damage concerns? What motor part no would you recommend for the easiest replacement? If I'm completely changing models of pumps maybe I should invest in the dual speed to really save on energy.

Thanks for for all the help.

You can do a total 1 hp motor with a 073126 impeller or a total 1.25 hp motor with a 073127 impeller.

You just need a square flange motor.

You can do single speed or 2 speed.

However, 2 speed motors are so expensive, you might be better replacing the whole pump.

You can do variable speed if you want.

Can you describe your pool and equipment?

You can do a total 1 hp motor with a 073126 impeller or a total 1.25 hp motor with a 073127 impeller.

You just need a square flange motor.

You can do single speed or 2 speed.

However, 2 speed motors are so expensive, you might be better replacing the whole pump.

You can do variable speed if you want.

Can you describe your pool and equipment?

12,000 gal gunite

In direction of flow:
2 floor intakes & 1 strainer intake
Pentair whisperflow high performance pump w/ bad Century B2854
Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter
Chlorine injector
Discharge to pool jets w/Total Eclipse Del Ozone injector
Discharge to ~2ft tall waterfall

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.