How to eliminate a Chlorinator

May 24, 2015
Wichita/Kansas
Thanks to this website i am on the right track with chlorinating my pool with liquid bleach.
My pool is still setup with the old chlorinator that takes the 3-in tablets. I have just been running the pool with it empty the last couple seasons.
This season I want to eliminate it. Do they make plugs for the ports that the chlorinator plugs into on the inlet and return lines? Should i run a continuous piece of 3/8 tube between the two ports? I really don't want to have to cut out the ports and glue in new sections of pipe. Any advice would be appreciated.

I had an inline chlorinator when I bought the place. I removed the black tubing going to the connectors (on the in and out pvc plumbing) then cut
some of that tubing long enough to be fully seated (just as before) as well as a bit longer (1 or 2 inches i think) then
stuffed it with liquid nails sealant and a stainless steel bolt (for both) then used little automotive fuel line clamps
to secure the bolts to the tubing.

Haven't had any leaks.

Why remove it? If there is no leaking, I would just leave it.

Could be useful for raising the CYA if needed or while on vacation.

That's a good point. Unfortunately, i broke the inlet valve on the chlorinator off. I dropped it while taking it out of storage.
Here is picture of what i was wanting to plug or eliminate.

Attachments

• chlorinator_port.jpg
    chlorinator_port.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 100
Yep thats the same type I had on the plumbing.

Mine had to be removed, it was cracked and would have needed replacement.

I would have removed it anyways though, they put it right in front of the door and
you'd have to very carefully walk around it to access anything.

Just take a solid piece of rubber about the size of the washer that's under there now and remove the fitting and place the rubber under the clamp and tighten it down.

Alternatively you could remove the fitting and clamp, then tap the pipe and install a plastic threaded plug in the hole. It would probably tap to 1/4" NPT.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.