First open with TFP

Jun 11, 2016
Buffalo, NY
First time opening pool after using the TFP method last year. It worked great last year, probably the best I've had the pool. Everyone said pool was great and no irritation issues or anything. Switched from using pool store product (Sustain) and multiple trips to pool store for tons of chemicals. Now I'm just trying not to screw it up. ;) Just opened pool today. Clear, I can see the bottom in shallow end. Not as much in deep end. But not green. I have the pool store open the pool for me and take off loop lock. Not sure exactly what they add when they open but I did see a gallon of algicide. Did first test and here are my readings:

FC: 2.5
CC: 0.5 (just)
TC: 3.0
CYA: 28 (just under 30)
PH: 7.2
TA: 50
CH: 575

Like I said, I just don't want to screw it up. I know I have to get my FC up. Just don't know if I should be worrying about my TA too. Do you tackle multiple issues at the same time or focus on one and then others, one at a time?

Low TA is easy to deal with. Let it wait. Get that water clear first. Call your CYA 30 and get it up to 12 FC ASAP. With sunlight and warming water, you don't want the algae to spring to life. When the SLAM Process is done, then rebalance the rest. Nail it tonight. Tomorrow morning you might see all the way to the piles of crud forming drifts on the floor since there's no sunlight to rob your FC. Back up to 12 and go to work. Tomorrow night, vacuum up the sludge. You could be swimming this weekend. Probably not..... but kids'll get in water far colder than you will. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.