Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: UV stability of Santoprene tubing?

1. Back To Top    #1

UV stability of Santoprene tubing?

I just installed a 45mph10 Stenner pump. As part of the kit I received ~20 feet of clear (opaque, actually) santoprene tubing. Since most of the tubing run is exposed to the Arizona sun for most of the day I'm wondering how well it will hold up to UV and whether I should take steps to protect it?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: UV stability of Santoprene tubing?

since it is clear I wold cover it or paint it, it will likely last a year or two but might as well give it all the help you can. When you have used the spare roller tube new pumps typically come whit in a couple years you might want to upgrade to UV stable black at the same time.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hide it with some split wire loom. Might find it at an auto parts or computer store. A car stereo installer will probably have tons of it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Tagging in on this thread

Is a 50' run with the santoprene tubing ok or should it be a hardline if one wanted to run this far?
    Pflugerville (Austin) Texas - 14,000 in ground plaster/pebble using cartridge (CV460) filtration system. Currently testing with a Taylor K-2006c test kit - Using Liquid Chlorine - No SPA or SWG. Pool was build in 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by LeMuttman View Post
    Tagging in on this thread

Is a 50' run with the santoprene tubing ok or should it be a hardline if one wanted to run this far?
    I think you could get a 50' run to work if the run is level or better yet downward sloping. looking at the Stenner site it looks like they are specked to prime up to 25' with a 3-5' lift on the suction side, given that I wold not think the discharge side could handle much lift over a significant distance but if you can make the discharge side level or lower than the pump I would think you will have no problem.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!