Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hand Railing at entry steps or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hand Railing at entry steps or not?

Was hoping to get opinions and pros and cons of having a hand railing installed at the entry steps of my new IG pool. We are leaning towards not getting one. Would love to hear some feedback from everyone. Thanks.
    16' x 34' Irregular IG vinyl, ~18K gal, Hayward S210T Sand Filter, Hayward 1HP Single Speed pump, AquaCal SQ125 Heat Pump, TF-100 Test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hand Railing at entry steps or not?

We didn't get any railings, like the clean look without them and can't think of a time where I've used them on my parents pool that does have them.
    Inground vinyl 23'x40' Aspen shape, ~27K gallons, Sta-Rite Intellipro 2 VST Pump, Sta-Rite System:3 Mod DE Filter (60 sq ft), Hybrid In-Floor System (Paramount Valve with Caretaker Heads), AquaComfort Heat Pump, 3x Savi Melody Sol 28W LED Lights, Pentair IC60 SWCG, EasyTouch Automation with ScreenLogic, TF-100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

We decided to remove our hand rail when we had to resurface our deck.

The metal hand rail got pretty hot in the sun, blocked a good portion of our corner stairs, and (maybe?) had the potential for rusting with a salt water pool (we converted to a SWG along with the resurfacing). It also looked out of place for our deck/screen. But we also don't have small kids, or elderly adults that might need a handrail. If we did, that would probably trump all of the other reasons I listed.
    ~14,000 gallons, outdoor with screen enclosure, mostly rectangular, pebble sheen finish (Resurfaced/Raised depth 01/2016). Hayward Tristar VS (01/2016) pump, Hayward Aqua plus SWG (01/2016), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter 36 sq. ft (old...), Taylor k-2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

We opted for no railing at it looks so much cleaner IMO, no issues getting in or out with anyone.

Salty
    20X40 30,000 gal. Vinyl, AquaPlus Automation w/ T-15 SWG & AquaConnect, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, ProSeries S310T2 Filter, H Series 400FDN Heater, Sense/Dispense with Stenner Pump, ColorLogic X 3, TigerShark RC990, ​Borates, TF-100 test kit, K-1766 & Speed Stir Finally done! Well Almost

5. Back To Top    #5

jbb,

Well, my pool is only about three years old and we did not have a railing installed. I now regret it, as overnight, I have suddenly become my father..

So my advice is, if old people are not going to use your pool, then you don't need one. Assuming you'll never get old did not work all that well for me..

I just installed a deck mounted unit that coincidently I just used for the first time today. Here is a pic...

Click image for bigger pic...

If I had been thinking ahead, I would have had the pool builder install the mounts in the deck and just put the railing away until old age struck...

I agree it is somewhat unsightly, but then again, so am I...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

We did not have a rail on our first two pools, but this one has a rail. We have a second step Baja, and the first step is only 2'X2'. My parents took a tumble on our previous pool a couple of times, but landed in deeper water. The second step Baja is just 18" deep, so we went with a rail for a little extra safety. We had it coated in thermoplastic that matches the deck.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

7. Back To Top    #7

Very helpful guys. Good to know I can install one later on if necessary.
    16' x 34' Irregular IG vinyl, ~18K gal, Hayward S210T Sand Filter, Hayward 1HP Single Speed pump, AquaCal SQ125 Heat Pump, TF-100 Test

8. Back To Top    #8

We also opted not to add a hand rail, might regret when we get older but be good for a while
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Jim - Were you able to bond the railing you added?

I get reminded that we have no railing each time my Aunt comes over. I'll add to Jim, assuming you never get old, or you never have a mobility issue (any age).
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I designed one out of PVC pipes and use sand bags to hold it in place. Looks a bit like the one in the picture in post #5.

Sand bags go on the bottom.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Jim - Were you able to bond the railing you added?

I get reminded that we have no railing each time my Aunt comes over. I'll add to Jim, assuming you never get old, or you never have a mobility issue (any age).
    Bob,

The railing has a coating and the instructions say that bonding is not required.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    I designed one out of PVC pipes and use sand bags to hold it in place. Looks a bit like the one in the picture in post #5.

Sand bags go on the bottom.

Bob,

I'm guessing yours was a lot cheaper than mine...

And I suspect, works as well.

I don't need it to pull myself out of the pool, it just give me a sense of balance.

Kind of like the difference between walking up and down stairs with and without a handrail.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

12. Back To Top    #12

We didn't have one put in, now I'm looking for ways to add one. With elderly parents and toddlers (that can be a little clumsy), I'd feel better if we had it.

13. Back To Top    #13

We have no railings or ladders in ours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

14. Back To Top    #14

It is truly about your use and needs I think. If you are just about looks by all means leave the railing out, I think they truly take away from the look, have potential to rust, etc. But - if you have a need, elderly people a lot, etc then it might make sense. Have the holes prepared, but plugged. Or get a rail that can be put in or taken out easily. Might all depend on where and how your steps are designed as well, if they are steep you may need the rail, if they are shallow then you may not need one.

Based purely on looks I vote against.
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015