Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemicals expired?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemicals expired?

I have a new guy handling the chemicals. I tested the chlorine to see if he showed up. Think the 003 is bad, because the FC test remains clear and the pool tech said that was impossible to have 5ppm and 0 FC.

He uses fancy digital testers and has done a great job even before I hired him, when my friend referred him to my blooming pool. Except for the staining, I don't think this pool has EVER looked so good!
    26k gallon IG plaster/shotcrete
    Pentair 1 HP Hydropump
    C-9419 catridge filter
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Chemicals expired?

How old are your test reagents. What test kit are you using?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You mean you're reading 0 FC & 5 CC?

To confirm. You added the R-0871 powder and it never got pink? Then you added the R-003 and it did turn pink but it cleared with the R-0871?
    Or did you add the powder and it went pink, then you used the drops to clear it and got 5 FC but when you added the R-003 it stayed clear?

Both are very possible. The likelihood of each depends on what the water looks and smells like.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Or did you add the powder and it went pink, then you used the drops to clear it and got 5 FC but when you added the R-003 it stayed clear?

Both are very possible. The likelihood of each depends on what the water looks and smells like.
    Yes. The water is clear and doesn't smell.

5. Back To Top    #5

Zero CC is ideal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by smc View Post
    Think the 003 is bad, because the FC test remains clear and the pool tech said that was impossible to have 5ppm and 0 FC.
    SMC, if you would be so kind as to edit this line to clarify 5 ppm of what, then we can get on with the discussion of whether or not you should educate or fire your pool guy!
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry, 5ppm CC. The previous service use to keep it around 7ppm.

8. Back To Top    #8

TC - Total Chlorine. (if you had 7 ppm CC, I would be able to smell your pool in Michigan)
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Rollercoastr View Post
    TC - Total Chlorine. (if you had 7 ppm CC, I would be able to smell your pool in Michigan)
    You must have a great nose! TF-100 KIT INSTRUCTIONS. I put 9 drops of 003 and 10 made it totally clear. Without it trying to turn pink while swirling. 10x0.5 = 5. What am I saying wrong?

10. Back To Top    #10

fc (free chlorine) + cc (combined chlorine) = tc (total chlorine)

ideally, you keep your fc at recommended level for your cya and pool size and chlorine delivery method and if all goes as it should, your cc should be at zero...anything over .5 is an issue.
    Windy ☆ 22ft round, 11,400 gal, intex ag vinyl, SF70110-1 Intex sand filter/2800 gph pump, CS8110 intex swg, city water, solar heater, TF100 test kit/speed stirrer, over the wall intex skimmer~fall river ks~SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by smc View Post
    You must have a great nose! TF-100 KIT INSTRUCTIONS. I put 9 drops of 003 and 10 made it totally clear. Without it trying to turn pink while swirling. 10x0.5 = 5. What am I saying wrong?
    Do you mean R-0871 or R-003? There's a huge difference. The R-0871 is what you count to get it to clear. The R-003 is the one between the two tests and you only use 5 drops.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Do you mean R-0871 or R-003? There's a huge difference. The R-0871 is what you count to get it to clear. The R-003 is the one between the two tests and you only use 5 drops.
    Yes, that's it! I used the 003 and it stayed clear. Nothing is blooming, the water is clear, I guess I have nothing to worry about. Thanks!