Cant get water to sparkle????

May 14, 2009
Tennessee
I am loving the BBB method....its so easy to do but i just cant seem to get my water to sparkle like it should...Im gonna post my numbers....is there anything i should do????

FC 5
PH 7.7
TA 90
CYA 50

any thoughts would be appreciated.....

btw...i think i have converted my neighbor from using bacquacil (is that spelled right??) to chlorine using the BBB method...... :goodjob:

What's your CC measurement? Also, do an overnight FC test, and see if you lose more than 1ppm FC overnight. If you do, you might have a nascent algae bloom happening.

Good for you on converting your neighbor! How you spelled it is close enough. Most on here call it "baquagoo", "baquacrap", or something similar. :wink:

With the intex pump/filter, it might take longer. Are you cleaning and changing your cartridges regularly? They are really not meant to be cleaned off and reused, but rather tossed and replaced. But with diligence, you can get a couple uses out of one.

Think of it this way... your pool did not cost NEARLY as much as it could have, so splurge and replace your filters at least a couple times a month.

The Mermaid Queen said:
With the intex pump/filter, it might take longer. Are you cleaning and changing your cartridges regularly? They are really not meant to be cleaned off and reused, but rather tossed and replaced. But with diligence, you can get a couple uses out of one.

Think of it this way... your pool did not cost NEARLY as much as it could have, so splurge and replace your filters at least a couple times a month.

yep....changing once a week but cleaning twice a day...my numbers are holding overnight too... i thought that i might have had an algae bloom but then i discovered it was probably a lot of pollen in the air from the field being taken care of (or whatever they are doing....) every time that i clean the filter though there is this greenish yellow stuff that comes right off...on the bottom of the pool is this light brown stuff that moves away like dust when you run your hand by it. its not on the walls, just the bottom. i really believe its pollen from the fields and this may be the cause of my probs.....

do my numbers look good otherwise???/

do you have a picture? personally I don't think my water sparkles either...it's ok I guess, but all these people talking about how jewel-like and sparkly...I don't see it myself. it's definitely nice, but I don't consider it a bed of diamonds.

Sparkle isn't everything I guess. My water sparkles, and I can't get my FC to hold overnight, and this has been going on for quite a while! If I hadn't found this forum, I would have thought that everything was wonderful with my pool.

I second what the queen says - it's probably cause of your filter. If you have a lot going on environmentally around you, that would certainly make it harder. Maybe after pollen season is over you'll see some improvement. :wink:

im just gonna keep on vacuuming and keeping the water stable and sanitized and go from there....i think that you are right about after the pollen season it should be better...it just seems really bad this year....ugh.... i was afraid that it was a problem with the water but my numbers seem right and hold well....

It has been a bad year. I normally don't experience that much crud on the bottom, but this year I noticed a big increase compared to last few years - so much so that I went and got skimmer socks. Definite help there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
It has been a bad year. I normally don't experience that much crud on the bottom, but this year I noticed a big increase compared to last few years - so much so that I went and got skimmer socks. Definite help there.

i went and used nylon stockings as my skimmer socks.....:)......works really well.

dmanb2b said:
Jeff...do you happen to have a CC measurement? or are you able to hold your FC overnight?

as best as i can tell....my FC is holding overnight....i cant convince my better half to splurge on the Taylor kit so im doing the best i can, but i am convinced its holding....so my answer is no i dont have a CC measurement.... :(

jeffcessna said:
frustratedpoolmom said:

i went and used nylon stockings as my skimmer socks.....:)......works really well.

Me too. Walmart has a 10 pack of knee highs for $2. Can't beat that!

I have the 18 x 52, metal frame, but with a similar filter/pump.

I use the skimmer sock AND Fiber Clear (or similar product). It's like DE but only more lightweight. I sprinkle on the outside of the paper filter, while in the pump. When you turn the pump on, the incoming water mixes and it adheres to the paper filter. It will filter out pretty much anything!! I was able to filter out the metal in my pool in just over 24 hours. I had to keep rinsing the filter off and adding more each time, but my water sparkles and will be like that for the rest of the summer. Works great on pollen. I also use it when I vacuum. Even the tiniest of particles will be trapped and will not blow back into the pool.

born2crooz said:
I have the 18 x 52, metal frame, but with a similar filter/pump.

I use the skimmer sock AND Fiber Clear (or similar product). It's like DE but only more lightweight. I sprinkle on the outside of the paper filter, while in the pump. When you turn the pump on, the incoming water mixes and it adheres to the paper filter. It will filter out pretty much anything!! I was able to filter out the metal in my pool in just over 24 hours. I had to keep rinsing the filter off and adding more each time, but my water sparkles and will be like that for the rest of the summer. Works great on pollen. I also use it when I vacuum. Even the tiniest of particles will be trapped and will not blow back into the pool.

showing ignorance here....what is Fiber Clear and where can i get it??? that sounds like it works great!! anything can help especially with this pollen.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.