Safety of putting bleach into the pool

spiazza

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2009
Berkeley Heights, NJ
I'm new to the BBB method and my wife raised a question about the safety of putting bleach into the pool. Her question is if we use 6% normal Clorox bleach, what effect do the other 94% of the ingredients have? Any danger if the little kids swallow the water?

Re: Generic chlorine bleach ok...or just clorox?

Nothing in bleach will cause any problems. The other ingredients are almost entirely salt and water. You don't want to drink bleach straight from the bottle, but once it is mixed into the pool it is just fine.

Re: Generic chlorine bleach ok...or just clorox?

JasonLion said:
Nothing in bleach will cause any problems. The other ingredients are almost entirely salt and water. You don't want to drink bleach straight from the bottle, but once it is mixed into the pool it is just fine.

In an emergency situation (such as hurricane) can you drink the pool water ?

geoshecks said:
The Baltimore municipal supply has 4ppm CL. I just received their annual water quality report. I tested it myself and got the same result. When you turn on the tap in the a.m., the chlorine smell is obvious (must come out of solution in the pipes). At normal maintenance levels, that's the same as the pool water!
GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY! :shock: 4ppm for real? Do you use a filter for drinking water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
geoshecks said:
The Baltimore municipal supply has 4ppm CL. I just received their annual water quality report. I tested it myself and got the same result. When you turn on the tap in the a.m., the chlorine smell is obvious (must come out of solution in the pipes). At normal maintenance levels, that's the same as the pool water!

Do they also show ammonia on test? It may be that they are using chloramines, as it is stable longer and that may be the smell.

Baltimore city water quality report for 2008
Chlorine MRDLG(Maximum contaminant level goal)=4ppm
MRDL(Maximum residual Disinfectant level)=4ppm
Running average of 4592 monthly samples =.54ppm

Just tested again at tap. Over 1ppm. Probably varies by time of day and distance from treatment plant.
I've tested as high as 3-4ppm. Otherwise, Baltimore/Metro has very good tasting water.

BTW.... The smell may just be the Orioles stinking up the town! :puker: :lol:

Question to ponder: "Why would anyone need a hot water heater?" :wink:

Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I tested my own tap water this morning: FC .5, CC 1.5!! :shock:
Am I misunderstanding those results, or is my pool water healthier than my tap? It's my understanding that the chloramines are the unhealthy part of chlorine...

Just for kicks, I tested the water coming out of my cheap refrigerator filter: FC 0, CC 0. So it is working as advertised, but I'm still showering in the chloramines...I'd take 4ppm chlorine with 0 CC any day over my own tap water!

Dave

spiazza said:
I'm new to the BBB method and my wife raised a question about the safety of putting bleach into the pool. Her question is if we use 6% normal Clorox bleach, what effect do the other 94% of the ingredients have? Any danger if the little kids swallow the water?

It is no less (or more) safe than using chlorine tablets or chlorine powder. It's all the same stuff, just in liquid form and without the stabilizer.

I get that question all the time from friends/family. "You put BLEACH in your pool?!" No. I use liquid chlorine. :lol:

Beez said:
Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I tested my own tap water this morning: FC .5, CC 1.5!! :shock:
Am I misunderstanding those results, or is my pool water healthier than my tap? It's my understanding that the chloramines are the unhealthy part of chlorine...
Dave,

It looks like your water district might have added Free Chlorine (FC) to the supply, but along the way it got converted to Combined Chlorine (CC) possibly from organics along the way. However, when our water district used chlorine, I didn't see that effect and had FC of around 1 ppm and no CC (<= 0.2 ppm). Did you test your tap water using a 25 ml sample so you could get 0.2 ppm resolution? It may be that the FC is actually very low, perhaps <= 0.2, which would mean that you water district is likely using monochloramine at around 1.5 ppm. My water district now uses monochloramine at around 1 ppm CC.

Monochloramine is intentionally used because it does not form as many disinfection by-products and also persists longer in the water lines. It's also less reactive than chlorine, but that's a good thing in this case and is still strong enough to prevent runaway bacterial growth in the water (though not as fast as chlorine for person-to-person transmission, but we're talking water in pipes, not pools).

Standard activated carbon water filters will remove both chlorine and monochloramine which explains your refrigerator water filter result.

Richard

chem geek said:
It looks like your water district might have added Free Chlorine (FC) to the supply, but along the way it got converted to Combined Chlorine (CC) possibly from organics along the way. However, when our water district used chlorine, I didn't see that effect and had FC of around 1 ppm and no CC (<= 0.2 ppm). Did you test your tap water using a 25 ml sample so you could get 0.2 ppm resolution? It may be that the FC is actually very low, perhaps <= 0.2, which would mean that you water district is likely using monochloramine at around 1.5 ppm. My water district now uses monochloramine at around 1 ppm CC.

Ah, no I used the smaller 10ml sample. I'll retest tonight with the 25ml sample.

Monochloramine is intentionally used because it does not form as many disinfection by-products and also persists longer in the water lines. It's also less reactive than chlorine, but that's a good thing in this case and is still strong enough to prevent runaway bacterial growth in the water (though not as fast as chlorine for person-to-person transmission, but we're talking water in pipes, not pools).

I certainly hope this is the case in my water district as well, because the alternative is disturbing.

Standard activated carbon water filters will remove both chlorine and monochloramine which explains your refrigerator water filter result.

Richard
Thanks, Richard, for yet another very informative post. :goodjob:

My tap water tests 1ppm FC and 2-3 ppm CC on a pretty regular basis. We are the first house off our pump station (for real) about 150 yards away from the station down hill so we have serious water pressure. Our area is known for bad water. We actually received a letter a few years ago from our water co-op informing us that the FDA was requiring them to put things in the water that would harm plants. Plus, the pipes in our area are all around 30 years old and are composed of patches held together with patches. After the letter, we immediately installed an under counter filter in the kitchen for all drinking and cooking water. I wish we had a whole house filter for showers, but have no where to put it in our dinky house.

ok, new here, sortof...started on this awesome site last summer after purchasing 18x48 round intex pool from walmart but can't remember my old username so i just created a new one. Decided to upgrade the pool this yr and thought I'd come back here for info and advice. My salesperson insists I don't need to use liquid chlorine b/c of liner problems and with the money I've spent just wanted to make sure I'm okay going against her advice. Was gonna shock my pool using it b/c my other readings are fine, just needed to get chlorine to shock level and she insists on using the bags of shock instead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.