Safety of putting bleach into the pool

it's fine...not sure I've seen a bleach related liner failure reported here yet...amazing that my avg FC level is 7ppm and yet everyone asks me why my pool does not smell like bleach...clothes never fade...etc...gosh this forum has been the best find ever :goodjob:

The pool store just wants to sell you something they carry, bags of shock, instead of having you use something you can get somewhere else. As long as you pour the bleach slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running there won't be any problems. Actually, it is just as likely that there will be problems with granular products as with bleach. If you pour the granular product all in one place and a pile sits on the liner it will cause just as much damage as bleach can if you add it incorrectly.

Liquid chlorine/bleach is best :)

Bags of granular shock are usually calcium hypochlorite and add calcium to your pool.....eventually you must drain pool to eliminate it if it gets too high although not as big a deal with a vinyl pool.

...go bleach....it is just chlorine....the stuff your vinyl liner was DESIGNED to be exposed to.

Liquid chlorine also disperses more easily than the granules which can sit on the bottom of the pool and degrade the liner with spots of ultra concentrated chlorine.

Lee

poolchemdoer said:
ok, new here, sortof...started on this awesome site last summer after purchasing 18x48 round intex pool from walmart but can't remember my old username so i just created a new one. Decided to upgrade the pool this yr and thought I'd come back here for info and advice. My salesperson insists I don't need to use liquid chlorine b/c of liner problems and with the money I've spent just wanted to make sure I'm okay going against her advice. Was gonna shock my pool using it b/c my other readings are fine, just needed to get chlorine to shock level and she insists on using the bags of shock instead.

I haven't had any problems with using liquid chlorine, nor has anyone else I have read on this site, even those of us with vinyl liners / AGP's. I did get some small bleached spots w/ using cal-hypo, and someone else said they got a bleached spot using tri-chlor. Bleach is actually easier on the pools than other chlorine sources. You just don't want to pour it in without the pump running, because it is a little heavier than water, and without circulation too much could settle at the bottom in one place.

I hope that if you're using the bags you make sure you dissolve it well before putting it in the pool. And if it's dichlor, check your CYA before using it, and don't use it unless your CYA is on the low side. If it's cal-hypo, make sure your calcium isn't too high before using it. That's the problems with the powdered chlorine. It can easily bleach your liner if not dissolved in a bucket extremely well before using it, dichlor adds CYA, and cal-hypo adds calcium.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.