Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longest You Have Gone without Needing to SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Longest You Have Gone without Needing to SLAM

I know that if you keep your water balanced and stay on top of adding chemicals that you should not need to SLAM your pool (except for those that close down pool in winter). However, I'm assuming (maybe falsely) that despite everyone's best efforts there will always come a time that a pool doesn't pass the OCLT or your CC gets above 1.

With that said, I was curious what the longest streak everyone has had where they have not needed to SLAM their pool? (Not counting the initial SLAM many do each year to open their pools).

When you did finally have to SLAM your pool what do you attribute to as the reason? Did you get lazy in adding chemicals, did you go on vacation, did you just have an algae bloom despite keeping everything balanced, ect?
    16,000 gallon in-ground pebble tec pool. Hayward SP3400VSP Eco-Star Pump, Pentair Triton 2 TR-100 sand filter, A&A 5-port in-floor pool cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color changing pool light, Polaris 965iQ Robotic Pool Cleaner, OG Pool Math Subscriber and most importantly a Taylor K-2006C test kit.
    Test Kits Compared
    | SLAM | Chlorine / CYA Chart |

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Longest You Have Gone without Needing to SLAM

This is my third season with an above ground pool, so in no way shape or form will I claim to be an expert, as there are plenty of them here on this site, so I can only speak on my behalf...

Since I do not put a cover on my pool over the winter, opening it in the spring usually involves scooping out a small amount of debris. This debris leaves sediment at the bottom of my pool that once stirred up makes my clear water turn green. This leads to a very short SLAM once a year that only lasts for a couple days because most of that sediment just needs to be filtered out.

I'm very diligent about testing my water and keeping it balanced to avoid any issues. I close late in the fall bringing it up to SLAM level and open up early in the spring to avoid neglecting my pool while the water temperature is still warm enough for algae to bloom.

Who knows, maybe one of these years I will buy a cover for it and forgo the SLAM altogether?

Sometimes despite your best efforts, things do happen. I did have an issue last year where we took on some pretty bad storms and had some furniture blow into my pool that put a bunch of pollen/dirt and other byproducts into it. Couldn't get to it for a few days due to a crazy work schedule and more storms so I did have to do a mini SLAM there as well...

Kevin, TFP Believer & Supporter
    (Yup, I drank the pool water)
    13.5K gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl, TF-100 Test Kit
    2HP Waterway Pump, 200 SqFt Hayward Element Filter
    Recommendations: Pool School, TFTestkits & Pool Math

3. Back To Top    #3

I am starting season six this year. I've never drained a single gallon, missed a day of swimming, or had a green or even a cloudy pool. My water has been crystal clear every day since day one! Thanks TFP! But, I did have some little green fuzzy algae spots, like 10ish spots 1/4" or so, under the waterfall and on the sun shelf because my FC got a tad low. So I did one SLAM summer before last for less than a week and we swam the whole time. So, 2-1/2 years before SLAM and 2-1/2 years after SLAM. I seriously doubt I'll ever need to SLAM again.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

going on 3 years. have owned pools for 4.

The one time it happened was on purpose. I was testing that CYA reducer that doesn't work and had
    to get levels low enough for it to work, then mustard algae formed.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

spin,

I have three saltwater pools that have all been 'TFP" for about three years.. I have never had a single day where my pools were not crystal clear. No algae ever...

It is almost embarrassing because I tend to shy away from SLAM questions, as I have absolutely zero practical experience in that area...

Keep in mind that where I live, and I assume where you live, it might get too cold to swim, but we never close our pools.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I've never SLAMmed my own pool. Closest I've gotten is to raise the FC a little and add some DE when the sparkle goes away. If it doesn't look like this (yesterday) I'm not happy!
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Pool is 19 months old never slammed hope to never have to. Stenner pump probably gives me a false sense of security though, makes things a bit too easy, I was testing way more when manually adding chlorine.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

8. Back To Top    #8

Been using TFP from day one (built in 2015) and no SLAM ever and hope I never do! We close pool in winter and follow TFP procedures and so far we haven't needed to SLAM at opening either. This year we actually had a little FC left when we opened!

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

We went four years without slamming our Salt Water Pool. When I did SLAM, it was do to a circulation problem that was mechanical failure.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

10. Back To Top    #10

Opened pool in 2014, never had to SLAM. Found it a touch cloudy last summer after much time away, but a few days of a few PPM max limit for my Cya got me straight.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Opened my SWG pool in 2015. I have never slammed. I do not close it, but it is covered for almost 7 months. Since my pH stopped moving last year, I have gotten real lazy about even doing the pH and FC tests...need to do that tonight. Just noticed on my pool math app that it has been almost 2 weeks

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Just finished my 1st slam last week, then had to lower my FC to add stain remover (stains were there when I started the slam). As of today the stains ae gone and shave the chlorine back to 4.0. I think I'll keep the pool open year round this year just to see if I can maintain it even though I can't swim in it from about Mid Sep. to mid May. That way I won't have to buy a new cover.
    By the way, pool is now crystal clear and I think it will stay that way all summer, Thanks TFP. I found this site via you tube video's
    Approx. 19Kgal, Grecian 16'x32',IG Vinyl, Built 2-2001Sta-rite sand filter (T-200BP-1), pump/motor Hayward-continuous-3450rpm, 1HP. Polaris 380, (I rebuilt 2016), PB4-60Q booster pump 2007 replaced. Old pool cover will need replacing at end of season. City water. Hope liner last till summer of 2019

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jagger2005 View Post
    Opened my SWG pool in 2015. I have never slammed. I do not close it, but it is covered for almost 7 months. Since my pH stopped moving last year, I have gotten real lazy about even doing the pH and FC tests...need to do that tonight. Just noticed on my pool math app that it has been almost 2 weeks
    jagger2005 (and anyone else who might know) -- do you find that upon covering the pool, the FC levels stay stable (or close) over the intervening months until the cover comes off?

Like, for example, you might close the pool at these measurements (mock numbers):

FC: 8.0
    CC: 7.9
    CYA: 50

... then cover the pool, wait 5 1/2 months, then measure something like this after the uncovering (mock numbers):

FC: 7.5
    CC: 7.5
    Intex 16' x 8' x 42" Prism Frame AGP, vinyl liner, 3,300 gal, opened 5/28/2017. Intex Krystal Clear Model 637R Filter Pump. Cartridge filter (Size A). 6-way HTH testing kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

7 years. 365 days a year. It'll be 8 years come October.

Pool was clear when I moved in and it has never had an algae bloom. Once time I did spy some algae lurking on the grout lines right at water level inside the skimmer throat, but I just scrubbed it off with a brush.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
    jagger2005 (and anyone else who might know) -- do you find that upon covering the pool, the FC levels stay stable (or close) over the intervening months until the cover comes off?

Like, for example, you might close the pool at these measurements (mock numbers):

FC: 8.0
    CC: 7.9

... then cover the pool, wait 5 1/2 months, then measure something like this after the uncovering (mock numbers):

FC: 7.5
    CC: 7.5
    I run my pump 4 hours a day with the cover on it. The cover, along with short days and cooler weather, dramatically affects the FC loss and evaporation. My pH never moves as well. In these 2 years we have had a lot of rain in the off months, so I always need to add salt and CYA

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

16. Back To Top    #16

I wanted to read these posts, since the following weekend my brother-in-law, who has had a pool for 20+ years, and I got in a conversation regarding chemical use for our pools. I told him about TFP and that all I add to my pool is bleach and a little muriatic acid when needed. He ask how often I SLAMMED. I told him once upon opening my pool (and in the 3 years since finding this site and converting from Baquacil this is the first year I've had to do it upon opening). He told me that bleach alone does not kill algae. I told him my pool was crystal clear and stayed much cleaner then most others I've seen. He would not budge from his opinion that my pool should be SLAMMED regularly. He uses the tablets and shocks once a week. I ask him why he needed to shock the pool if the tablets did their job. His response, because you're suppose too!! I had to agree with him that putting tablets in two or three times a week and sticking a strip in the pool to test would be much quicker and easier, especially when you're away from home even just a few days! BUT I love my nice clear pool and knowing what is in my pool water. The ONLY reason I would consider changing what I do is for the ease of leaving home for any period of time, without worrying what's going to happen to my pool!! I have to have my neighbor put bleach in for me every day if we are gone! My question is why does he think algae would be growing in my pool if I only add bleach and never "shock it". My sister thinks my pool is not safe to swim in because of this. BUT it is crystal clear!! It actually sparkles! I can't say the same for theirs! Also, any suggestions for when you're leaving for an extended period of time on how to keep the chlorine level up??
    17,000 gallons, Aboveground, vinyl, sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Dynamo StaRite/Cristol-Flo II tank/filter. Former Bacquacil user!

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

If they don't believe you (or TFP) maybe they will believe Wikipedia:
    Many bleaches have strong bactericidal properties, and are used for disinfecting and sterilizing and thus are used in swimming pool sanitation to control bacteria, viruses and algae and in any institution where sterile conditions are needed.
    Bleach - Wikipedia

When I am on vacation I use a floater with trichlor pucks. My CYA runs low as it is, and 5 days worth of trichlor isn't going to raise it that much in that time-frame. Any longer than say 5 days I get whoever is feeding the cats to blindly (no testing) add chlorine with the pump running and hope for the best. No troubles yet!
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jagger2005 View Post
    In these 2 years we have had a lot of rain in the off months, so I always need to add salt and CYA
    I thought a cover would keep pretty much all rain out? Or is your pool not covered continuously during the off-season? Newbie here, so I am sure I'm missing something obvious.
    Intex 16' x 8' x 42" Prism Frame AGP, vinyl liner, 3,300 gal, opened 5/28/2017. Intex Krystal Clear Model 637R Filter Pump. Cartridge filter (Size A). 6-way HTH testing kit.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thank you! Wikipedia it is!!
    17,000 gallons, Aboveground, vinyl, sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Dynamo StaRite/Cristol-Flo II tank/filter. Former Bacquacil user!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
    I thought a cover would keep pretty much all rain out? Or is your pool not covered continuously during the off-season? Newbie here, so I am sure I'm missing something obvious.
    My cover is actually a leaf net - which is a mesh net. Rain and sand still gets in pool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast