Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test kit noob question

1. Back To Top    #1

Test kit noob question

I currently have an HTH test kit I picked up last year for our first pool (intex- This was before I found TFP)
    https://www.amazon.com/HTH-1173-6-Wa...6+way+test+kit
    I would like to continue using it so as not to just throw it out but it does not test for FC. I'm considering purchasing this Taylor k-1001 for free chlorine and PH to supplement the HTH kit which does everything else. TC,PH,Bromine,TA,Hardness,CYA

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Basic-...orine+test+kit

Question is, is the HTH kit sufficient/ accurate enough to get me through the season compared to the Taylor setup? Should I just bite the bullet and get a full TF100 kit and toss the HTH? Buy the FC test separately? Overthinking things?
    5700 gallon AG Doughboy 12x20 oval, Intex Sand filter, Hayward Aqua trol SWG
    Long Island NY
    Doheney's jet drive robot (aquabot)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test kit noob question

Since your reagents are a year old, what I would do is go with a TF-50. This gives you all the tests you need, but not a color block for TC and pH. Since you already have those in the HTH kit.

The FC test in the Taylor K-1001 is not what you want for an FC/CC test. You want a FAS-DPD test for FC and CC that goes up to 50+ ppm so you can perform a SLAM if needed. The TF-50 has that.

TF-50 plus your TC/pH color block you already have is the best bet imo. If you need more cylinders or more reagents, you could add those on as well. TF-50 @ TFTestkits.net
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Test kit noob question

TF-50 it is then. Thank you
    5700 gallon AG Doughboy 12x20 oval, Intex Sand filter, Hayward Aqua trol SWG
    Long Island NY
    Doheney's jet drive robot (aquabot)