Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My 1st SLAM - questions

1. Back To Top    #1

My 1st SLAM - questions

Got a ton of rain last week that raised the level of my pool a few inches along with a bunch of leaves and dirt. So Saturday morning I vacuumed the bottom where there was some green algea in the cracks of the vinyl liner. Of course this made the water cloudy, but not really green. I tested it at that point (8am):

FC 3.0
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 100
    CYA 80

On the whole the levels were about in line with what they had been for the past month of sparkling clean water -- except the CYA which was 50 last time I checked, about 2 weeks ago.
    I was going to be out all day, so I dumped about 20 oz of bleach in it before I left. Around 5pm I got home and still cloudy blue (no green but not clear). So I figured I should SLAM before it gets bad.
    I added 128 oz bleach at 6pm. Waited an hour and tested at 7pm
    FC 14.5
    CC 1
    Added 128 OZ again. tested at 8PM:
    FC 24
    CC 1
    Added 60 oz
    This morning at 6AM tested:
    FC 25.5
    CC 1
    Added 65 oz of bleach.
    Went to work. Still cloudy. Am I on right track? Just keep adding bleach until FC is 31 (according to the chart I read on site) and keep it there till pool is clear? I haven't tested PH again cause I read that it wouldn't be accurate during the SLAM process.
    Just want some reassurance I'm doing this right. Thanks!
    7600 Gallons
    AB
    Cartridge filter
    2 speed
    installed 5/2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My 1st SLAM - questions

You're getting closer. Slam means a sudden, violent hit. You've been hitting the pool harder than love taps, but not really slamming it. SLAM means shock level and maintain. Shock level for 80 CYA is 31. So get it to 31 FC. Next time you check, add enough to get to 31 again. Keep it at 31 as consistently as possible. It's all explained in great detail in the SLAM article.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I know I read the slam article. But also remember reading somewhere here that it's better to go slowly and add less than what is recommended. So that doesn't apply to the SLAM I guess! I was being cautious. I will start slamming hard and get it up to 31. How likely will it be clear by Friday?
    Thanks!
    7600 Gallons
    AB
    Cartridge filter
    2 speed
    installed 5/2016

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by PK56 View Post
    Yes I know I read the slam article. But also remember reading somewhere here that it's better to go slowly and add less than what is recommended. So that doesn't apply to the SLAM I guess! I was being cautious. I will start slamming hard and get it up to 31. How likely will it be clear by Friday?
    Thanks!
    Working up slowly is for CYA. If all you have is a little algae in the seams, you should be able to clear it before the weekend no problem. Brush til your arms are going to fall off. Algae develops a slimy film to protect it from chlorine and you want to scrape that off to kill it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok my pool is clear and clean! Levels:
    FC. 14
    Cc. 0
    pH 7.2
    Ta. 110
    Cya. 70
    So according to CYA chart my FC should be 5. So no additions till FC lowers? If pH gets any lower should I add baking soda?
    7600 Gallons
    AB
    Cartridge filter
    2 speed
    installed 5/2016

6. Back To Top    #6

You may not be done yet. You need to do an OCLT to make sure all is gone. Check SLAM procedures.
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed 1.5HP motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the tip...will do that last step fingers crossed!
    7600 Gallons
    AB
    Cartridge filter
    2 speed
    installed 5/2016

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep...FC overnight change was .5 so guess I'm done.yay!
    Thanks for the help.
    7600 Gallons
    AB
    Cartridge filter
    2 speed
    installed 5/2016

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep...FC overnight change was .5 so guess I'm done.yay!
    Thanks for the help.

Let the FC drift down below 10 and then see what needs adjusting. If those pH and TA readings hold, you don't need to do anything. The high TA will drive the pH up soon enough.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok one last question...my ta has always been high usually around 110 but haven't worried cause the other levels were good and pool was clear. Should I worry about a high ta?
    7600 Gallons
    AB
    Cartridge filter
    2 speed
    installed 5/2016

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok one last question...my ta has always been high usually around 110 but haven't worried cause the other levels were good and pool was clear. Should I worry about a high ta?
    Probably not. You didn't post CH numbers so there's no way to predict scaling or not.

12. Back To Top    #12

I have not tested for CH because I thought I didn't have to do to having a vinyl liner. Should I be testing for that too?
    Every time I think I have this mastered another question pops up.
    7600 Gallons
    AB
    Cartridge filter
    2 speed
    installed 5/2016

13. Back To Top    #13

I have not tested for CH because I thought I didn't have to do to having a vinyl liner. Should I be testing for that too?
    Every time I think I have this mastered another question pops up.
    Yeah, it can get confusing. Just remember low is okay, high is not. The part you get to ignore is buying hardness increaser, but not the testing.