An alternative to pool opening

Apr 11, 2017
ringwood, NJ
So I have read such conflicting info about how to properly open my pool for the summer season i am thinking it might be better just to drain it and refill it.

Last year was my first summer with a steel wall above ground pool (12' round, 54" deep, approx. 4,000 gal) and have heard so many different things from so many different people about how to treat the water when i take the cover off in another 2-3 weeks that i am considering just draining the swamp (LOL) and having it refilled.

The first year, i paid to have it filled and the next day i tested it and every level was spot on.

Any thoughts? I live in Northern NJ.

Thanks All!!!!!!

Hello! :wave: Not sure about the conflicting info you're speaking of, but on this forum we have the TFP Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool page. That's what we use. Of course the success of opening is directly related to how the pool was closed:
Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

Having said that, your pool is just over the size limit we consider a seasonal pool. If you aren't able to close/open your pool as noted in the instructions above, you might be a candidate for the TFP Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools page.

I have a steel walled 24' x 48" deep ABG pool (13,500 gal) and drain mine halfway during the Minnesota winters so that the sidewalls don't collapse in when the snow flies. Minimal effort in the spring to get everything refilled and balanced properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.