Need help with Pentair VS Pump

Yev

Jul 29, 2014
Independence, KY
My problem in as few of words as possible: I went to open my pool, and the pump does not want to work. So what should I do next? This is more of a hardware question, not so much water chemistry. I am adding liquid chlorine and stirring up the water manually a few times a day until I get my pump issue addressed.

So now onto some details. I have a Pentair VS+SVRS 3HP pump. It is 3 seasons old from a new pool build 20K gallons, 2 skimmers, main drains, and 5 returns.

Towards the end of last year, the pump tripped my breaker. I would reset the breaker, and as soon as the pump got power, it tripped again. Solution, I unmounted the pump controller box from the pump, and saw some dust/cobwebs/etc on the power connector. I blew them out on both sides, remounted the controller, and pump worked fine for remaining 2 months of season.

This year, when I went to open this week, the pump shows the following symptoms. Breaker does not blow. LCD screen backlight (orange glow) does come on. No text shown on LCD screen. Buttons don’t seem to do anything. And pump does not run. I am assuming pump will not turn on since I cannot press the buttons on the display panel to select a pump speed/program and then press the start button.

So it seems as though my options are:

1.) Replace the entire pump
2.) Get a new controller for the pump
3.) Something else I am not considering

Any guidance on this would be very helpful, and quickly, as the green pool isn’t getting any clearer on its own. Thanks in advance.

Update #1. At my work I opened up the Pentair Controller on the pump, and there was some moisture on teh circuti board. It was not drenched, sort of looked like a small amount of dew on the board. There was also somethign dark greenish on some part, I am assuming this is some sort of mold that has grown, that perhaps this has gone on for a little while.

So does this change anyone idea on what to do next for me?

Seems like I just need a new controller, but how do I tell if the old pump is still OK or not? Can I measure resistance of the plugs or anything like that? Or shoudl the pump automatically turn on when the power is first applied to that pump? Or does that depend on how I haev programmed the pump?

Update #2: After removing the moisture from the controller as stated above, and bringing the unit home, the display worked again. I got an Alarm when I turned the unit on, something about a power error, but after a minute or so it went away, adn now the pump seems OK. I am now going to order a cover to keep the pump dry.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.