New DIY build semi-inground with Hayward pump/filter questions

Aug 14, 2015
South Central Texas
Melenia 30'x54" Round semi-inground pool with 25 gauge overlap blue liner from The Pool Factory
Hayward SP15922S Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2-speed pump
Hayward DE3620 Progrid 36 square-foot vertical grid DE filter
Hayward SP0710XR50 Pro-series Vari-flow backwash valve
Intermatic T103R 40amp 125v pump timer

Question: Does this 1hp 2 speed pump sound adequate for the 22,000+ gallon pool I'm installing, or should I purchase the 1.5hp pump instead?

Also, is the 36 square-foot DE filter sized correctly for this large pool? Or is the 48 square-foot larger unit a better choice?

I'm upgrading from a Intex 18'x48" and small pump to this 30'x54" with larger filter/pump and I'm going to purchase all parts this week, as I'm getting close to final assembly on the wall and liner installation. I have excavated down about 2 feet on the south end of the pool closest to my patio and spa. I've layered a base of masonry "beach" sand under the feet and liner area. Pics to come!

Thanks in advance!
Jason

Started with this...

After contacting a few non-local pool installers, and being we're 30+ miles from any major urban area, I decided to just purchase a small backhoe and start on the project myself. I figured I'd be able to use the backhoe for other things around the house here, since I've got 5+acres with brush, small stumps, and LOTS of rocks.

After 20+ hours of backhoe work I was unable to remove the large limestone rocks, so off for a jack hammer. I'm here to tell you, I work outside around my place everyday, shoveling, digging, splitting wood, and I'm 6'2" 200lbs, consider myself a more than active person, but after 3 hours of lifting a 90lbs jack hammer around a 700 square-foot circle I was beat. Oh, and no where near done. So back again after a skid-steer with a rock hammer.

And finally up with the base ring this past weekend, level and somewhat circular...

The plan is to extend the rock patio and railroad ties, at the same level, into a 2' walk way all the way around the pool. The flagstone is hand laid and grouted by myself and reclaimed from land my great grand-parents owned and will eventually be handed down to me. Not the prettiest masonry work, as I used to build custom homes and have seen the work of great stone masons, but keeps feet out of the mud.

I already have 60amp 220volt subpanel within 50' of where the pool pump and filter will be located for my spa. And already have laid under the rock patio a 1" electrical conduit that I will extend to the back side of the pool where I'm going to locate a small concrete pad for the pump and filter. I'm going to run 10/3 with ground out to a GFCI 20amp plug for the pump. That should be more than adequate for a 1.5hp pump, should I need to upgrade, and any additional pool plumbing parts or lighting needed. An 8' ground rod and bonding plate will be hooked up to the copper bonding wire around the base of the pool and tied back into my local spa subpanel.

Anything else I'm leaving out, please feel free to add your two cents.

Happy Days!
Jason

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.